LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with ACER 5920G (8600mGT) and Lineage 2

Guest Marino

Guest Marino

I have always used the drivers on this website, and they always worked fine for me. This lasted until 171.37 drivers with modded inf, on windows vista home premium 32.Computer worked perfect with the game Lineage II

When I decided to switch to newer version, like 174 / 175 series, I got the following problems:

- Drop of 6-7 fps at login screen of the game Lineage 2 (from 27 to 20). This fps loss can be recovered only removing antialiasing---> not a big problem.

- HANGs of the game while playing: the screen simply freezes, and the only way to recover the game is ctrl-alt-canc ---> switch to windows ---> switch back to game without closing it. After those hangs, I see the FPS speed dropping from 75-80 to 40: yes, the game is slower.This can be fixed only with system reboot, until you get another game hang.

Can somebody help me in figuring out what's happening, and why only up to 171.37 series does not cause me problems?

newer drivers dont always mean better performance.

this is particularly true for older games when using new drivers.

most new drivers will fix an issue for more "up to date" games but you may find it breaks an older game in the process.

since 171.37 is working well for u and u mainly play that game then stick to the 171.37 drivers.

Guest Marino
newer drivers dont always mean better performance.

this is particularly true for older games when using new drivers.

most new drivers will fix an issue for more "up to date" games but you may find it breaks an older game in the process.

since 171.37 is working well for u and u mainly play that game then stick to the 171.37 drivers.

well yes, I was just wondering if it was some hw problem like overheating or similar

it could be the case.

try cleaning ur air vents out to clear the dust and stuff that clogs up.

Guest Marino
i have the exact same system, and had similar issues. are you by chance using a flash drive with readyboost enabled? if so, check out my thread here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18550

Ok I did the following things:

- Fresh re-install of windows vista 32, because we can never know

- Full auto update

- Opening of system tray and cleaning all the air ducts

- Turned off all unnecessary services

- Installed driver 175.56 (not sure if it is correct version, it's the whl one and I am too lazy arse to re-check for the number) :)

The problem disappeared.

Also, the fan now runs only at low speed.

Also again, the temperature dropped from 80C to 70C.

The strange thing was noticing that the air ducts, at human eye, were not obstructed...but, after cleaning (virtual clean because there was really not so much dust) I had 10C in less:)))))))))))))))