LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Gateway T-6815 Drivers for XP

Carl

Have downgraded OS from Vista to XP on my Gateway T-6815 laptop...now screen is too dimm to see and brightness and ciontrast controls no longer function....can anyone help????

Guest Tony

I am having the same problem. It seems to be related to the ACPI drivers not installing. Check out your device window and youll see the 3 componants that dont have drivers. I have every thing installed but that. Gateway says they cant help me unless I pay 60.00 per half hour to help me. Anyone figure this one out yet. PLEASE any help!!!

Guest Carl

Yes I got the same song and dance from Gateway. At first they said $60 per half hour and yes they had drivers for XP then they said "Sorry, we don't support that cofiguration" (T6815 and XP). Hoping one of you technical Gods out there can help!!!!!!

• 4 months later...
Yes I got the same song and dance from Gateway. At first they said $60 per half hour and yes they had drivers for XP then they said "Sorry, we don't support that cofiguration" (T6815 and XP). Hoping one of you technical Gods out there can help!!!!!!

Hello everybody,

Did anyone solve the drivers issue on Gateway T6815? I am starting to downgrade and I will gladly use advice from people who has walked already this path.

Regards,

Tony

• 8 months later...
Guest Guest

i forget how i came across it but here's a dell driver that work, with a couple quirks... the driver is Graphics: 6.14.10.4864 and the filename is R179776.exe, you can find it if you look around for it. if you can't find it repost here and i'll upload it somewhere for you

it works but it's a little quirky, so read this (this applies once you've installed the driver and rebooted)

what you need to do is right click on the desktop and go to the scheme option, make a scheme, and call it something like 1280x800x32bit. basically if you make a bunch of schemes for resolutionsxbits (if you use older apps that only run 16bit), you can use those via the desktop right click select scheme method. what WON'T work is anything changing the resolution FOR you. you need to select the scheme appropriate to an app before you launch it, and even then it doesn't always work. some apps will change the resolution on their own and will end up with the dark backlight.

what you can do is bypass all this and use a second screen, this works fine no matter what driver you use. alternatively, linux tends to work fine with most decently supported distros. another tip is in the profile settings you can also set to not stretch the screen - this looks especially good for 1024x768, since the screen is much sharper at its native resolution (because of a horizontal of 768 the window is only off by 16 pixels on the top/bottom).

what i did is got a little pctotv converter and plug into the tv with svideo, then use a gamepad to play games on the tv at 640x480

ALSO if you don't want to get annoyed at all just run everything windowed instead of fullscreen, if you do this for the most part you'll only have to set the scheme at boot

REMEMBER: ALWAYS SET THE 1280x800x32 SCHEME AT BOOT (BY RIGHT CLICKING THE DESKTOP)!! IT WILL BOOT WITH A DARK SCREEN EVERY TIME! SO THE FIRST TIME YOU INSTALL THE DRIVER YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE SCHEME! I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ANYMORE THAN CAPS!

Guest Guest

here is a rar of the folder, i made sure to keep a backup of it but i don't have the original .exe it came with

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/12692568/file.html

the sound driver might work too but i'll check on that and repost it...

NOW in return SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THE F*#& TO GET THIS DRIVER WORKING IN XP64!!!!!! cause it doesn't and i cried when i installed it tonight :-(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dwight

to fix the dim graphics, go to gateway's website for the t-6815 downloads and update the bios. That's it. Download the bios, extract the folder to the local c drive, double click the flash program and press the ok button. the computer will restart and the graphics will be bright and vibrant in xp.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest-1234

to fix the dim graphics, go to gateway's website for the t-6815 downloads and update the bios. That's it. Download the bios, extract the folder to the local c drive, double click the flash program and press the ok button. the computer will restart and the graphics will be bright and vibrant in xp.

I have just downgraded my t-6815 to XP PRO and had the same problem with the brightness. Installing the updated BIOS solved the problem, as the previous post said.

But now the wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG) doesn't work. The wireless worked fine under XP before the BIOS update, but now the Device Manager shows the device as fully functional, but no wireless networks appear when I Search for Wireless Networks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the wireless card and restarted several times, but I hope someone will have some useful advice.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have just downgraded my t-6815 to XP PRO and had the same problem with the brightness. Installing the updated BIOS solved the problem, as the previous post said.

But now the wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG) doesn't work. The wireless worked fine under XP before the BIOS update, but now the Device Manager shows the device as fully functional, but no wireless networks appear when I Search for Wireless Networks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the wireless card and restarted several times, but I hope someone will have some useful advice.

Thanks

YES... I had the exact same thing happen to me. Did you ever figure out a solution?

• 2 weeks later...

YES... I had the exact same thing happen to me. Did you ever figure out a solution?

I FREAKIN DID IT! Okay... so I've been following this forum for almost a week now and I've been searching everywhere for a solution to this problem but i did not find it ANYWHERE. So i decided to reinstall vista back, but guess what? THE WIRELESS INTERNET STILL DIDNT WORK. So now I was really frustrated but as a last ditched effort I went into BIOS and this is what I did (BTW this should work for either XP or VISTA)

1. F2 to get into BIOS upon startup

2. Tab over to the right to the label "Advanced"

3. In here turn "Internal WLAN Power State "ON"

4. Also "enable" the "AC Wake On LAN"

5. F10 to save settings and exit.

At this point the computer will resume startup and now you SHOULD see your blue wireless internet icon under your touchpad turn on! there you go i hope this works for all of you GL!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thanks for that last reply man!!! That fixed our problem with our adapter. Ours is a T series but a different model. Still fixed the problem. Wife is very happy...and that can only be good for me later...^_^ Thanks again.

Peter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I FREAKIN DID IT! Okay... so I've been following this forum for almost a week now and I've been searching everywhere for a solution to this problem but i did not find it ANYWHERE. So i decided to reinstall vista back, but guess what? THE WIRELESS INTERNET STILL DIDNT WORK. So now I was really frustrated but as a last ditched effort I went into BIOS and this is what I did (BTW this should work for either XP or VISTA)

1. F2 to get into BIOS upon startup

2. Tab over to the right to the label "Advanced"

3. In here turn "Internal WLAN Power State "ON"

4. Also "enable" the "AC Wake On LAN"

5. F10 to save settings and exit.

At this point the computer will resume startup and now you SHOULD see your blue wireless internet icon under your touchpad turn on! there you go i hope this works for all of you GL!