LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Cant overclock ? lets solve the problem

Guest clpdj

Guest clpdj

hello m'8s

Im creating this topic so all the people like me can overclock the mobile grafic card with ALL THE DRIVERS.....

my problem is this:

i have a sony vaio nr21s with a 8400m gt....

i cant overlcock with new drivers, only with the 169.04 and riva tuner 2.08.... i cant flash my vga bios becouse i dont have the bios os my lap, and i cant dump it... the last time i try the laptop had to go to sony waranty :S

So wat's the problem with new drivers, wat's difrente with the 169.04 ? and why cant i use the OC even with the 169.04 when i use riva 2.09....

LETS GET TOGETHER m8's ... Will be the first people to find how to do this, if we all work together.... lets make expiriences and post them here and find the solution.....

Reguards my freands

ps: sorry my bad english, but im form portugal :)

Guest clpdj

156 views and no replay? c'mon people lest make nvision the first forum to find this...... today i made a teste with using the 174.40 drivers and the 169.04 inf... and it still dont overclock.... :S i'll make some more testes later...

Use drivers that have Powermizer confirmed to work (169.04 is what I use). Also, what you can do is install 169.04, and install newer drivers over them so that it keeps some registry and files from 169, allowing you to OC. Also disable Powermizer, and download Coolbits.

Guest 7600 GOer

hi!

any infos on overclocking with the new drivers? - age of conan always crashes with the older drivers - which CAN be overclocked! it doesnt crash with 17x.xx drivers - which CAN'T be overclocked ... now that's called a dilemma i guess :-)

...tried everything by now! can't update the bios of my 7600 go with nibitor because it doesn't know my card! ... please help me!!

thanks!

@7600 GOer: try extracting the VBios with GPUZ and then editing it with nibitor. Thats what I had to do for my 8800M GTX

Guest 7600 GOer
@7600 GOer: try extracting the VBios with GPUZ and then editing it with nibitor. Thats what I had to do for my 8800M GTX

ahhhh did it thanks :)

Guest 7600 GOer

ok ... didn't do it exactly ... can't get it to flash the bios with nvflash or wfflash...

i only get this error when trying to flash (tried -4 -5 -6, -p -u -f)

Identifyin EEPROM

EEPROM ID(20,00) : Unknow

Error: Supported EEPROM not found

display adapter not found

i can't even save the bios by using -b, it wont let me... only gpuz works and nibitor works :-)

got an idea on how to solve this problem?

Yes I am encountering the same problem with Sony Vaio FZ21Z. It is supposed to be a gamers laptop but 8600M GS doesn't cut it with 3042 3D mark 06 without overclocking. With 169.04 and OC I have reached 3800 in 3d mark which makes things a lot better...but they are old drivers and crash in a few games. So what is this thing that makes these drivers able to overclock. No we are not talking here about BIOS extraction method...we need a software direct solution. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by delolith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thomaskc

how do you extract your vbios with gpu-z? cant find any way.. also nbitor wont recognize my gpu :) I have an 8600m gs.

can drivers have anything to do?

I would REALLY like to know more about this too, with the 169.04 as the only ones, I can overclock with my 8600m gs. but i need to be able to with the 175.x series :) my vga bios cant be read by gpu-id since its hardware locked or something like that. pretty annoying.

Guest 8400MGS_SONY

I am stuck on 169.04 for overclocking on Sony Vaio SZ6 as well.

I have tried a lot of drivers, done a lot of searching for more that 12months. I come down to the conclusion that somewhere in the coding of the files is a setting to bypass bios overclock restrictions in the video bios.

Also you can`t extract the bios from some Sonys with Gpu-z etc.

I had to use Phoenix Bios Editior (As the Video Bios is embedded in the System Bios) and then view the video bios in NiBiTor.v4.0.

I could see the clocks but decided not to go any further as i dislike the idea of a permant bios overclock due to the heat build and it could brick the entire laptop.

So at this stage it 169.04 until a new drivers pops-up, but this is getting more unlikely every day, i thinking Nvidia creating 169.04 with bios overclock bypass was glitch on their behalf and they never wanted it released as they have a market line to protect.

I understand your choice, but do I get it right... there IS a way?! with the phoenix bios editor? you could change the vbios options ??

It isnt possible to "unlock" the software overclocking in the bios maybe?

Phoenix bios editor, is it only working with sony or simple just with laptops that use the phoenix bios?

Nearly sounds like there is hope ^^

I dont quite get it.. how did you get hold of your Bios and your Vbios? I have a phoenix bios and got the bios editor... but now what?! :)

Guest 8400MGS_SONY
I dont quite get it.. how did you get hold of your Bios and your Vbios? I have a phoenix bios and got the bios editor... but now what?! :)

Yes its its explained in a thread somewhere on http://www.mvktech.net/ and it does work here is orignal post since i cant find it anymore:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GeForce Go 7600 BIOS, and the working way to extract it!? - 2008/03/15 01:47 Hi everyone, I just signed in with this great web site. I own an HP Pavilion DV9035 laptop which I am very proud of, and use it with Windows Media Center Edition 2005, Windows XP Pro 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit. The laptop comes with a GeForce Go 7600 256MB. Just like everyone out there I always want to squeeze the performance out of my PC. I replaced the memory up to 3GB and a faster CPU than the one the laptop came with.

But there is one thing that I was not able to do and unfortunately no one has been able to do yet, which is to unlock the extra pipelines the GeForce Go 7600 comes with. I have read so many things about it and looked for almost two years if anyone discovered a way to do so. We all know that NVIDIA has hardware blocked the extra pipelines or laser cut them. I took apart my laptop and examined the GPU core and surroundings to find those so called laser cut pipelines like someone else was able to do in some ATI video cards and was able to enable them by applying a pencil modding and BIOS flash.

I honestly could not find such a thing on my GeForce and I am pretty sure that no one else did already, otherwise it would be so easy to find information about it on Google. So either way these laser cut pipelines are hidden underneath the GPU or simply NVIDIA applied a hardware block like some resistors to move or add like they have done for the device ID's. All I know is a way to extract the BIOS from the main HP BIOS of my laptop. I am even able to apply modifications with NiBiTor and flash the BIOS back without problems.

Maybe someone out there with more knowledge than me wants to help or wants to help himself. Here is the procedure to successfully extract the video BIOS from the laptop. Look out there in the internet for the latest version of Phoenix BIOS Editor Pro preferably the version 2.2.0.1. Install it in your PC, download from your laptop?s manufacturer the latest BIOS for your model. Extract the content of it with WinRAR or universal extractor or something? Once you did so, run Phoenix BIOS Editor Pro.

Locate the extracted BIOS and open it. It might give you some alert messages. Check those out the first time you run it and make sure there is nothing critical but just some log messages alerting you that the language is not fully supported etc., if it gives you some weird error message then don?t go ahead with the procedure. For my BIOS it gives me something like 50 to 60 alert messages when I load it. It?s pretty annoying so when you know everything is fine just check the box don?t show this again and click continue.

Now, your video BIOS should be in your left hand side under the Option ROM folder in the editor interface. Mine for instance is the one called "oprom4.rom", for the GeForce Go 7600. The file "oprom3.rom" is the video BIOS of a GeForce Go 7400, so make sure you check them out all and pick up the right one. To do so you have to go to the directory where you installed the Phoenix Editor and look for temp folder. It is very important that you access the temp folder while the Phoenix Editor is open and reading your BIOS, otherwise it will be empty.

So once you opened the temp folder just copy the file into your desktop. You have your video BIOS ready to be read by NiBTtor and to change its values. The file is approx 60kb. If it is in that range I guess post it in so that the moderators can test it for approval. When you are done modifying it reopen the Phoenix Editor and load your laptop BIOS once again, remove your "opromx.rom" file and then add the one you modified. From file chose Build BIOS and then save it in your desktop.

Rename it the same way it was when you extracted the BIOS and then flash it. That?s it! Cross your fingers and if something goes wrong use the HP recovery procedure somewhere in the internet. Note that the Phoenix Editor is to be used only with Phoenix BIOS's. Also, this is a 100% working procedure on an HP laptop but for other brands the result might not be the same. I have nothing to do with what you do to your hardware, I am only posting my experience, so if you follow it you are also taking its risks. Good luck!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However as i said before the idea of flashing a hacked video bios that is intergrated into the whole system bios is very scary as it could brick your $3 grand laptop requring you to send it back to Sony. Now mines a overseas model which further complicates things so i am going to wait till another driver come out.

At the moment i am overclocking a 8400M GS (169.04 XP) on a Sony SZ94S (SZ6 in america) to about 535mhz core, 710mhz memory no problem with additional cooling (Laptop cooling stand and battery removed). So i say bios editing the default clocks to 8400M GT speeds (475mhz core, 700mhz memory) may be safe as i read information that the onboard memory supports up to 700mhz on the Sony 8400M GS chips (Uses 64MB GDDR samsung memory apprently no way to confirm this) and the 8400M G, 8400M GS and 8400M GT all shared the same GPU archtecture (G86 M). YOu won`t get to 8400M GT speeds since its on a 128-bit bus but you will get close.

Btw i used nibitor 4.1 and phoenix bios editor 2.2.0.1 (do a torrent search)

Guest 8400MGS_SONY

Oh and if someone wants to dig around the Video Bios Binary to find out what the flag is that prevents overclocking please be my guest as i had a small look around but gave up since. Maybe if we had the same/similar bios that has a unlocked overclock flag we could find the actual address/values

I get it now thanks.. however! i have a problem... the bios I can get from LG is an auto update .exe :) how the hell I am going to get the roms out of that ?

any ideas?

What BIOS?! LG one will be for your laptop main BIOS, NOT the VGA card...

Guest _8400MGS_SONY

Universal Extractor might be able to view and extract files from a .exe

well easy now.. as it seems the vbios is part of the MAIN bios... so both!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clpdj

the topic es not about bios dumping or vga bios edition... e about to find the differences between the 169.04 and newer drivers; what does the 169.04 have different from new drivers that allows them to overclock and the new ones dont..... Lets do this m8's

• 1 month later...
Guest clpdj

welll my m'8 Adolfo just found the solution... inteligence and paciente is Adolfo midle name... but thanks to all anyway... the solution? change forum :) and have good m8's like adolfo.... thank you adolfo for the kindness :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have your same problem, i can overclock only with 169.04... So the only solution is still edit the BIOS of the GPU?

Is there a new driver that allow gpus overclock? Dox maybe edited some driver that allow overclock ?