LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS 1730 8700 issue

Guest Nick

Guest Nick

I have the Dell XPs 1730M with dual 8700's running on vista 32 home premium but i have an issue where i get just a pure black screen when windows loads if im running on battery.

The bios and windows loading bar all show fine and then windows is running in the background but nothing at all shows on screen.

Ive tried a few drivers currently the modded WHQL 175 release and seem to have this issue with all, i never tried on the base dell driver but that was awful performance for games anyway.

Ive checked all my power settings and nothing seems to be related to the graphics adapter thats different to the mains power so im at a loss.

Anyone ever come across this?

so its only when windows loads? when its finished booting up the screen comes alive again? Could be an issue with the SLi. Turn if off and use one card, see if the screen is alive during boot up.

I suspect that th SLi is not detectable during boot up, and until the actual drivers are loaded windows cant display it.

oh but when battery is pluged in its fine? hmm

Maybe a power saving setting to turn one card off when not on AC. and since you have it set for SLi then it wont display anything. like i said turn it off and see if that helps.

i used to have a SLi laptop and didnt have this issue with it, but had many many others.

Guest Nick

No the Sli is already off sorry forgot to say.

You get the post screens you get the windows loading bar then the screen just goes black. Windows is there and working but the screen is just solid black.

On AC its all fine.

No power settings i can see regarding the PCI-E or graphics are different between the batt/AC profiles so no joy there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tom C

A coworker and I had the same problem, and figured out that the nvidia 174.31 Drivers was the problem. Once I reverted back to 167.51, the problem went away. told my coworker to do the same, and problem solved wiht him to.

Hope It helps.

• 4 months later...
Guest col_fusion
I have the Dell XPs 1730M with dual 8700's running on vista 32 home premium but i have an issue where i get just a pure black screen when windows loads if im running on battery.

The bios and windows loading bar all show fine and then windows is running in the background but nothing at all shows on screen.

Ive tried a few drivers currently the modded WHQL 175 release and seem to have this issue with all, i never tried on the base dell driver but that was awful performance for games anyway.

Ive checked all my power settings and nothing seems to be related to the graphics adapter thats different to the mains power so im at a loss.

Anyone ever come across this?

I have the exact same issue but I worked out its the dual HDD's causing the issue on power up. The battery can not spin up both HDD's when of the main power.

So if you have twin HDD's and the power management otions all set to high performanace get used to powering up off mains.

:)