LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Update BIOS on Dell Vostro 1500 from Windows XP x64?

Michael Marley

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Dell's BIOS update program for the Vostro 1500 on Windows XP x64? I do not need to update my BIOS now, I am just wondering if it is possible.

DELL has always been detailed about their BIOS release notes. It should be mentioned in there.

I am probably just not seeing it, but I can't find anything about the release notes. I downloaded the latest BIOS update and fired it up to see what would happen. It did correctly detect which BIOS I am using (which was the same one in the file), so this means that it is most likely getting the low-level hardware access that it needs. This theoretically means that the BIOS update would work. However, I also noticed that the executable can be run from a DOS environment, so when it comes time to update my BIOS, I will probably just make a DOS boot CD with the BIOS and update it that way.

DELL predominantly offers 3 ways of updating the BIOS, so yes i would use the pre-Windows type (either floppy or USB stick) of update if youre unsure.

I have just tried updating the BIOS from the normal Windows method with XP x64, and it worked just fine.