LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help Me with Overclocking 8400m GS

AeroXMetalica

Hello. I'm new to overclocking and stuff and I was wondering how to. I have Rivatuner 2.09 to start with and I have stock drivers on my laptop. I opened up Rivatuner, detected and everything, and was still able to change my core clock and memory clock. Do I need any other drivers? Or I just begin and change my clocks? If I begin, I need to set my core clock and memory setting at what MHz and I won't melt my card? If I need a driver before I begin, which ones do you recommend?

My stock graphic core and memory setting:

400/400 (Performance 3D)

200/200 (Low Power 3D)

169/100 (Standard 2D)

Also, I want to get WAY better framerates in Call of Duty 4 and DIRT and probably some big improvement in Crysis .

Edited by AeroXMetalica

You don?t need any specific drivers to overclock your card.

Safest way to overclock it is to get a decent program to be able to see the laptops temperatures, then raise the core by 5 MHz and check for artifacts or shuttering (google it if you don?t know what they are and the way to detect them).

After you find your core's max MHz use the same tactic for the memory.

Ps. Overclocking a laptop is bad due to the limited cooling they have. And by the looks of it you don?t really have a good graphic card so basically you won?t be able to see any huge difference even if you overclock it either way.

Well, I just tuned it to 500/500 on Perfomance 3D and I got 5-10 more FPS on DIRT! However, like you said, it got really hot and my CPU got to max 68 c temp.

Buuut, still not enough to fry the system. Might buy a fan or maybe tweak the MHz a lil. :)