LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gt idle temp

cathor

hi!

isn't ~60c a little bit high as idle temp? i have a vostro 1500. no overclocking and powermizer is disabled. room temperature is about 23c.

I used everest and gpu-z to monitor, they both show the same. one more thing that i have noticed is that the gpu makes this ticking sound when set under heavy load.... is that normal. its not loud but as i am sitting pretty close to the laptop it's certainly noticeable.

Currently using the 174.74 drivers. upgraded from 169.44 yesterday. both driver versions had the same idle temp and the ticking sound.

TIA

Check if the fans are clean and working first to make sure its not them.

ok i'll try that. butbthey should be clean, laptop is pretty new and all the other temperatures are normal. HDD 38-40c, cpu 41-45c. only the gpu that has a higg temp. should i use speedfan to check if the fans are ok?

Yeap you could try that. CPU at 41-45c is a bit high too for idle temps. Mine are around 30c.

Your gpu should be around 35c. Well atleast mine is and its considered to be a graphic card that runs hot.

Whats the gpu's temp when you are playing games btw ?

Edited by CooLMinE

i dont play alot of gpu demanding games. i just played 10 min of Dreamfall on high settings and the gpu peaked at 75c while the CPU (c2d t7500 2.2ghz) went up to 70 ish. too high?

They wont fry at that temps but still they are a bit high.

Try put your laptop in a way that doesnt block the fans (if they are in the bottom of the laptop) and also check the surface you have the laptop on (the matterial, if its cloth etc).

Guest Guest

The temp you see are about right. Any laptop components run hotter. GPU and CPU both run on average 20* C above any desk top. My gpu idles @ 60 and peaks at 75-80(UT3). My CPU idles @ high 50's and peaks at 77*C. They run hot because they don't have adaquate cooling. Two words Laptop Cooler. The Sycthe collers are pretty sweet, maybe $65 US but worth it.