LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with 8600M GT/GS and Acer aspire 5920

the van

I have an ACER aspire 5920 and I have recently downgraded for Vista to XP pro 32 bit, and I am unable to install a driver for my video device. the Acer manual says I have a GeForce 8600M GT/GS.

I have tried lots of different drivers and modded inf files and all fail during the 'have disk' method with the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

my hardware shows VEN_8086&DEV_2A02 which i can't find in any of the inf files. I'm not sure if maybe my hardware is just not compatible with XP or whether i just have not yet found the right driver? Or do I have modify my own inf file to add this device ID?

Apologies if i missing something obvious but i just can't work this out....

All advice and help greatly appreciated!

I have attached NERD output.

thanks

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

what drivers have you tried?

make sure its a newer one i.e 174.xx / 175.xx

be sure to use the modded inf.

Thanks for your reply -

I have been using the modded inf, and have just tried 175.70, (have previously tried 167.58, 169.09, 160.03, 101.38, 169.62).

Same problem, and the modded inf file does not contain my device id 2A02.

I have just realised you can search by DEV and SUBSYS id on the homepage, and mine (DEV_2A02&SUBSYS_01211025) are not found.

I find it hard to believe there are no drivers for my laptop, as it seems other people installing XP on the Acer 5920 have managed to install video drivers, so not sure whats different about my situation!

please let me know what i can try, thanks

i find it hard to belive too,

is your card a 8600M GT or 8600M GS?

its one or the other.

also make sure that the modded inf you install comes from the same thread where you downloaded your drivers!!

im preety sure your card is supported :)

I don't know how to tell if its GS or GT. The laptop manual just says GeForce 8600M GT/GS.

I'm guessing adding my own DEV and SUBSYS id to a modified inf file then trying to install again is a bad idea?

Appreciate your help on this one - there must be a way...

I have an ACER aspire 5920 and I have recently downgraded for Vista to XP pro 32 bit, and I am unable to install a driver for my video device. the Acer manual says I have a GeForce 8600M GT/GS.

I have tried lots of different drivers and modded inf files and all fail during the 'have disk' method with the error "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

my hardware shows VEN_8086&DEV_2A02 which i can't find in any of the inf files. I'm not sure if maybe my hardware is just not compatible with XP or whether i just have not yet found the right driver? Or do I have modify my own inf file to add this device ID?

Apologies if i missing something obvious but i just can't work this out....

All advice and help greatly appreciated!

I have attached NERD output.

thanks

That PCI_ID is an INTEL chipset ID not a nVidia Graphics one.

As Dox has said run the GPUz app to see what you actually have

Ah ok - if its not a NVidia ID that would explain a few things.

No i don't have a driver on CD, only vista drivers that were supplied with the notebook. I am trying to install XP so have come here to find a (any!) working driver.

Running GPUz returns 'unknown architecture'.

I might try and find some more chipset drivers before I deal with the graphics card maybe.

thanks

This ACER model comes probably with DUAL graphic solution: 1. INTEL integrated graphics for desktop work 2. NVIDIA graphics for gaming. It can probalby be set in the BIOS to enable/disable it.

NVIDIA vendor ID is always 10DE

INTEL is always 8086

The 5920 should come with a 8600M GT or the Intel UMA Chipset based options.

The MB will have one of 2 chipsets with or without Intel Graphics.

Driver from Acer site http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/...FTOKEN=90896614

Acer have a very awkward driver download support site, first download corrupt :)

Will try again.

101.38 = WinXP

101.45 = Vista X64

Your Device PCI_ID should be 0407

I'm pretty sure this is in all modded INF for both XP and Vista.

You are installing these drivers the right way ?

REPLACING original INF with the MODDED one ? (this is a vital step)

Some of the latter 174 and 175's have OEM INFs included in an original_infs.zip

you could extract nvac.inf and use this to install those drivers.

Thanks for all for your help - all sorted now. I needed drivers for the Mobile Intel 965® chipset, and i got confused thinking the unrecognised devices were nVidia cards....