LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Compaq Laptop Graphic Driver

Tjasko

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here; but I do call myself a geek, so I'm not dumb.

I have a Compaq Presario F761us, and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7000m / nForce 610m.

HP/Compaq has a real old driver (not that old; but there is a newer one I would like to use) at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...093〈=en

NVIDIA driver is at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.44.html

NVIDIA latest driver is: 169.44

HP/Compaq latest driver is (one I am using currently): 156.71 (found in GPU-Z)

That's quite a bit of an upgrade. I would like to be using the NVIDIA driver.

So, as it says in the guide, I need to install the modded INF file by using the "have disk" method. Which I did.

But here's the problem. No matter what INF file I try (that one is compatible with the 7000m), it gives me an error after a while.

It states the following:

________________________________________________________________________________

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your drivce but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

NVIDIA GeForce 7000m / nForce 610M

The system cannot find the file specified.

If you know the manufactured of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

________________________________________________________________________________

I would like to use a newer driver; and it seems to be that HP/Compaq is taking forever to release a new driver. And if I try to install any driver (off NVIDIA"S website, or download one from yours), I get this: "nVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." *Because I need the modified INF file to install the driver update in order to not get this error.

I uninstalled the graphic driver I currently had before trying to install the INF file; so Vista (I'm using Vista Ultimate 32 bit) could know that's the latest driver, and I would have no problems with that.

Does anyone know what is wrong here? I have followed all the guides to update the driver, but, it's just not working... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks Laptopvideo2go! This is a real good community you have here. I should of found this site a lot earlier than I did. This would of saved me a lot of trouble I had in the past with NVIDIA graphic cards.

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Tjasko

I had this problem also.. umm about 5 weeks ago.. . It will work, its just that vista is looking for a different inf file as there are too many versions.

You need to specify where the new one is. right click and install the inf....

Failing the right click option, you need to:

Uninstall existing driver going back to standard VGA; delete everything that may contain reminants of old display drivers. (driver sweep works well f you can't find them all); then install using setup.

(after you have overwrited the modified *.INF)

I do a clean install every 3-5 months to keep the system running as fast as possible... that will be a good option also.

:)

WOW! THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

That Driver Sweeper program worked perfectly! :rofl:

I am using the driver now; the latest one too! :)

Thanks a lot wook! :P

EDIT: I just tested some things out; my experience went down, the gaming graphics by .2. It was a 3.3, now it's a 3.1.

But, what's funny is that before I ever did this update, whenever I opened up the start menu, and moved my mouse through it, there was some lag for the option to get highlighted. Now, there is no lag at all. It's amazing what this driver update did. My graphics are much smoother now. I just can't thank you enough. That made this laptop much better than it is! :P

Edited by Tjasko

no problem.. glad to help!

also.. vista experience doesn't mean anything. it tests one function your GFX card does. i scored a 5.0 then 5.9 using a driver change. but it made gaming very very bad. doesn't test shader 2.0 im guessing

Edited by wook

no problem.. glad to help!

also.. vista experience doesn't mean anything. it tests one function your GFX card does. i scored a 5.0 then 5.9 using a driver change. but it made gaming very very bad. doesn't test shader 2.0 im guessing

Yeah, I never really like that experience index idea in the first place. It just makes it look like my laptop is a bad one... My graphics card isn't the best from what I know, but, I can still game with it...

I know of this one application by 3D mark, that actually scores your graphics card. So I'm going to try that out. Yeah, I've seen retail stores modify their experience index to make it look like a high-end laptop....