LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with TV-Out - displays in black and white

Guest jbtilley

Guest jbtilley

I just found this site today. I haven't had the opportunity to put in the driver with the custom ini file, but I thought I might ask here to see if this is something common or fixable.

First I got no picture from TV-Out. I was using the most recent nVidia driver from www.nvidia.com. Now I realize that the standard nVidia drivers at their website do not support geForce2 go video cards.

After hours of searching I came across the official driver on portables.toshiba.com. It is older (10/2001). Installing it allowed me to see a picture on my TV, but displays it in black and white. I am using the driver for XP/2000.

I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the cable, as I have used the same cable with my CPU and got it to work perfectly. I think I'm standing on firm ground in saying that it is the driver that is giving me the problems.

I have looked around and it seems like the pins are not being configured right. It seems like a black and white image can occur when the TV is looking for the color from one pin in the s-video cable and the laptop is spitting the color out to a different pin. There are only three options to change pin configuration using the current driver - I have tried all of them. Not having the laptop with me it is hard to remember. I think they are B/PAL (UK), NTSC-j, NTSC-(some other letter). I'm sure I could get it working the way it should if I just had more options - ie. pin configurations.

Do these mods include more pin configurations? Will one help me? Is this a common problem? Will I have to just live with it? Am I stupid?

Toshiba 3000-S304/Windows XP

jbtilley,

I looks like your getting NTSC picuture on a PAL only TV (or viseversa).

In my modded INFs under the TV properties there is a section to choose what country your in, and selects the right output (NTSC, PAL).

Have a look in here,

Or try a program called TV-tool, a very handy program for anybody doing a lot of TV-out work.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

Guest jbtilley

I've been reading up on this like an addict today. Seems like some people are getting solutions buy changing the tv-out(put) from s-video to composite. It sounds like this will work for me.

I remember that <i>not</i> being an option for the official driver. Is that an option for your modded one?

I hate to just ask, but the laptop is at home (crap net connection), and for me to do any meaningful experimentation I would need to cart the laptop to work, thus losing another couple of days on this silly problem.

Guest jbtilley

Turns out I put it all on a CD and took it home. No luck whatsoever. I'm still thinking it is a s-video/composite problem.

Bringing in the old CPU does the trick. Same cable, same setup, but with color. Go figure. Looks like something I will just have to live with.