LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce 8600M GS crash in nv4_disp.dll with WinXP

Edd

Hello everybody,

I have a problem concerning my video card on my HP Pavilion dv2517tx.

Since some time using it normally playing games and working, i had this crash "nv4_disp.dll" that made my computer freeze while playing games or even browsing the net. A blue screen of death afterwards says that my computer was caught in an infinite loop. I tried to reinstall my xp drivers (168.xx) and now my computer is unable to install any drivers, and my laptop continues hanging and BSOD also etc etc. I wonder if it was maybe caused by overheat? its like 60 degrees (with everest) inside i don't know the normal temperatures although...I searched for other drivers on Hp's website but they don't support nor propose drivers for other OS than Vista (I have downgraded from vista because i like to play games and vista is huge). So i don't know if someone knew which driver suits the best for 8400M GS?

Finally, you must know that i tried using system restore it doesn't works at all and my computer starts with 6 little same screens as a pattern. I have to deactivate the adapter in order to use the computer but it keeps on rebooting by itself !!

Can someone help me please?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Edd

Sounds to me like your video card may have bit the dust. Is your laptop still under warranty?

Welcome to the forum Edd. First off I'd suggest you completely fill in your profile information so we know more details about your system.

You can look at this thread to find the required information:I wanted to register today?,, SUBSYS_ID, Video BIOS & Co -- Where & Why

That kind of problem with nv4_disp.dll has turned up infrequently in the past. If you do a forum search you may find similar stories. In the end it always seems to be some kind of driver incompatibility or just a bad driver release for the particular card.

I'd suggest you start by properly deinstalling your current driver (please read our FAQs on this subject), running driver cleaners to remove any last driver traces, and then proceed to install a relatively new driver from our list that forum members seem to be happy with. Don't forget to also download the modded INF to replace the original in the archive.

To be honest, I don't believe your hardware is defective.

if you cant boot into windows to unistall your driver, try uninstalling it in safe mode.

and then follow my unistall guide in the FAQ bit of the forum or click the link in my sig.

Hello and thank you very much for your replies. I have tried to update the information of my system...my laptop is still under warranty and now i have to use system restore in order in disable my video adapter so it doesn't hang. But now the problem is that i can't install anymore drivers because my screen goes weird and i have 6 tiny screens on my screen...just like before...

i would suggest u take it back and use your warranty.

allright I'll do that. Thanks anyways for your help :)

Hum hi again

In fact i think i am having overheat issues because my cpu temperature is 101 C (214 F) at idle state : only browsing internet. I have tried to reinstall my video drivers as it was mentionned in the guide on your forum but it doesn't want to. And i have to disable the vga adapter...my laptop is still in warranty so i think i will bring it to them... :)

This temperature is BURNING hot for an Intel chip. Does the fan on your PC ever run?

This temperature is BURNING hot for an Intel chip. Does the fan on your PC ever run?

Hi Michael and thanks for your reply

Yes of course the fan is running oterwise my laptop will burn !!!! but in a laptop fan are smaller aren't they? Should i stop using it? now it is allright for browsing internet and the temperatures given by everest ultimate edition are as follows :

68 for the cpu

70 for the core of the cpu

is that still too hot?? i don't even think of playing games right now as my vga adapter is deactivated

My C2D cores do 75-77 at worst when fully pushed.

My C2D cores do 75-77 at worst when fully pushed.

Hi zipper

fully pushed you mean while playing games? and i am using xp ...

Processing math.

If I were you I would not use the PC. Theoretically, Intels should shut down before the burn up, but I would not want to try it.

If I were you I would not use the PC. Theoretically, Intels should shut down before the burn up, but I would not want to try it.

I'll do that, thanks :)