LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclocking help

momopopo

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a 8600m gt video card and my problem is... well just look below...

Before Running 3dmark06

beforeof0.jpg

After Running 3dmark06

aftercj7.jpg

The scores are ridiculously low to say the least and none of the clock frequencies changed as the 3dmark06 test ran.

CPU score is decent..

Here's a pic of my computer's specs

infotw3.jpg

I checked the Power Plan Management and I'm using "High Performance"

Computer is plugged in while I ran the test.

What are your temps under full load ? :S

What are your temps under full load ? :S

Never higher than 65 degrees celcius.

Thats pretty good. What drivers are you using ? Did you try a few just to make sure its not your drivers problem ?

Thats pretty good. What drivers are you using ? Did you try a few just to make sure its not your drivers problem ?

Well here we go let's see... I just switched to the 174.74 drivers and got 4x my score (4077 3dmark) on default clock frequencies. (475/950/400) with temperature of ~50 degrees

However, when I used riva tuner to OC it, scores 2037.

Hm, try overclock it little by little (5mhz) and see when does the performance starts dropping.

Hm, try overclock it little by little (5mhz) and see when does the performance starts dropping.

lol you make me look like the dumbest person in the world. I did that and now my score is at 4142 3DMarks

and frequencies at:

480/960/405

So I guess in my case was that I OCed it too high.

But what i do find strange is that my card lowers its clock settings when i set them too high? I assumed that it would've just artifacted or freeze my computer.

Yea usually setting up the frequencies higher than the card can handle it causes shuttering and artifacts, in your case for some reason the card just perform less which is kinda odd indeed. And since that has nothing to do with overheating makes it even more strange.

On the other hand, 650 from 475 seem a bit excessive. Might as well try reducing the cores frequency first to see if that?s the one affecting the performance

Now for some reason when overclock my core to 550 or higher, my rivatuner hardware monitor shows the core clock going down to 100mhz. When I clock it to 549, it shows 594 in the hardware monitor. When I use GPUZ though, it shows me exactly how much I overclocked. Which one is correct?

Edited by momopopo