LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DirectX problem in Age of Conan -- please help

XBS

Just installed AoC, did the update, several hours later I can't play due to this error:

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_36.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem"

I really don't want to reinstall A0C as it takes forver!

I try to reinstall DX, but I get another error during the install. Does anyone have a link to a good DL of DX?

When I was running on Vista before I reformatted I was able to play the game, but now on XP I can't?!

specs on my system:

Dell XPS M1730

Win XP 32 bit

8700mGT in SLi

Intel Core 2 T7700 @ 2.4GHz

4GB Ram

5400rpm HDD

try installing the Dx end user update march 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

if you still get the same message try to update your drivers to atleast 175.16 if you havent already done so.

also some games will install DX when installing that game so if all else fails im afraid that you may have to reinstall.

Good one Dox, you crossed my edit! Great answer.

its a common error with dx9. Essentially its a .NET Framework Initialization Error. reinstalling DX will solve this problem.

If you still have problems...

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301,

Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility tool.

Uninstall any previous version of .NET framework from your system, and select the cleanup tool on the version that will not uninstall. The Cleanup tool will auto-uninstall.

Or...

Download "d3dx9_36.dll" file from DLL-files.com and copy to "C:\Windows\system32\" folder.

Enjoy it! :)

Tried that, game doesn't display character when I do that, but it will load. Just can't play it.

its a common error with dx9. Essentially its a .NET Framework Initialization Error. reinstalling DX will solve this problem.

If you still have problems...

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301,

Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility tool.

Uninstall any previous version of .NET framework from your system, and select the cleanup tool on the version that will not uninstall. The Cleanup tool will auto-uninstall.

When I try to install DX9 I get an error, then when I check for any installed .NET framework there aren't any currently installed on my system, downloaded the clean up utility, nothing there as well.

Any other suggestions?

You might want to check out our News Section for the link to the 'DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2008) to download and install that newest version, which might very well solve your problem.

Tried that, Installtion never completes, it fails half way through, I am thinking it is a windows problem.

I am going to be picking up Vista x64 pretty soon, that should solve my problems.

I can't imagine that Vista x64 will somehow improve things for you. It is in general quite a slow-down tool, and the 64-bit driver support is pretty bad for most 2nd string hardware items.

You just might want to try installing, then deinstalling a recent .NET anyway in the hope that it might fix your DirectX problem. I'd take a look around the MS forums for a hint too.

P.S.: d3dx9_36.dll is in the latest June update!

Vista won't help your gaming experience, in fact it will be hurt. For Vista, however, 64 bit driver support is improving rapidly. In fact, in order for a system or peripheral to have a Vista sticker on it, it must support 64 bit.