LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to fix your 6800 go AMilo m3438g

Guest khawarizmi

kris,

i have the same laptop, bought pretty much at the same time and my video card did the same thing so after not wanting to spend the few hundred i stumbled upon this..

Just curious i removed the heatsink, did you not tinfoil anything up just put the card in on legs as is?

Hey Jeff,

I just took off the heatsink and put it on the little foil legs, nothing else. If I'm remembering correctly, the only thing that looked like it might not be cool to go in the oven was a black tough plastic membrane around the GPU - I left it and it didn't have any problem with the heat.

It's Nov. 2 now, my video card is still working. That's about a month!

Good luck with yours!

Kris

kris,

i have the same laptop, bought pretty much at the same time and my video card did the same thing so after not wanting to spend the few hundred i stumbled upon this..

Just curious i removed the heatsink, did you not tinfoil anything up just put the card in on legs as is?

unreal. this really works!!! :)

my dusty xps gen 2 was sitting in the pile of spares when i stumbled upon this.

Having the original card fail outside warrenty i order a second via dell (they pass you on to upgrade options)

this card then failed after 4 months .. turns out they supply repair components so are only covered by a 3 month warrenty ..

feeling i didnt want my 2 grand laptop to go to waste .. i turned to ebay for a 7800 gtx ..

one year later .. built my own pc .. decided to sell the 7800 gtx and remain with 2 6800 ultras and a brick.

i then read this .. think wow .. just like the xbox 360 issue.. so i'll give it a try.. nothing to lose.

removed the heat sink,

wrap the remaining card in foil , but leave underside and top side where the gpu chip is.

oven warmed upto gas mark 5 .. pop in as kris says for 8 mins. :P

remove (note black membrain around gpu chip did bubble a little)

leave to cool as kris says for 15 mins .. clean and apply some artic silver 5

put all back

and all is alive again!!!!! fantastic. :unsure:

i'm now toasting the second card :)

many thanks to all on the thread ..

ps. sorry to hi-jack the thread. my xps just shuts down on boot up .. sometimes it goes further .. sometime it'll be up and running for 15 mins or so .. power brick seems to spike ... it was doing this when all was well hence why i sold the working 7800 ..

replaced the motherboard back then .. same issue? .. guess it still could be the power jack? thanks in advance be it pointing me to the right forum\existing solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody please tell me where in M3438G the graphisc is, is it under the aluminium cooling plate? How do I remove it? If anybody can answer this onto my email please, minosuja@googlemail.com

Guest Keith Kirby

I sent my laptop AMilo 3438G to a pc shop, i ordered the 7600 go , supposed to be MXM type 3 card, but he said it wasnt compatible

so he 'heated' / 're-flowed' my graphic card (he explained to me that the solder under the gpu chip has been heated)

before the solder was brittle and wasn't functioning well

heat/high temperature cause my graphic card to malfunction and heat again has been used to fix it.

its a small simple process, with many amilo 6800 go laptops going faulty maybe most have this same problem?

mine stopped working just 10 or 11 months after i bought it. most would say u need motherboard replacement other new graphic card.

i suspected it was easy to fix

Guest Callahan

Hi Mupp,

I have an Amilo M3438G with the same problem, blue dots, only VGA res... but...

Yesterday, I followed your steps and now my Geforce Go 6800 is working fine !!! :) :unsure: :)

I've installed Windows 7 RC, all drivers updated with my 6800 working at 1440x900 !

I'm just curious to know where did you get that info to rework your graphic card... :P

Thanks a lot!!

Where or how did you get Windows 7 drivers for your 6800 Go?? I also have a M3438G but i cant make or find suitable drivers anywhere. That is drivers with

multimonitor support.

• 2 weeks later...

Initially I was a bit sceptical of the "oven method" but managed to fix my daughter's Amilo M3438G which previously would only start in "safe mode".

I have an AGA cooker which makes judging exact temperatures difficult but gave the NVIDIA video card a 10 minute "roasting" on medium heat which seemed to do the trick. Used the silver foil ball technique to keep the unit away from any direct contact heat.

Used my nose to judge matters, when it came out the oven I got that "just soldered" smell but not as far as burning.

Anyway, reinstalled same and everything back to normal.

Guess, due to the age, the video card solder may have become a bit "crazed" resulting in dry joints and the heat just re-fuses same.

• 1 month later...

Heating in a oven -method confirmed. Got a amilo M3438 with Geforce Go 6800 graphic card and with a problem described earlier. Warmed it up twice in 200 celsius degrees for 4-5 minutes and now its working fine with windows 7 home premium.

• 6 months later...
Guest Badb8dtz

Baking the Geforce Go 6800 on my (plagued) Fujitsu Siemens Amilio 3438G.

I did it too!

It works, how bizarre.

I was getting severe graphics failure very similar to the garbled dos screens here before even booting into Windows.

Thank god I came across this forum, the advice really was quite unbelievable, however, the thing is dead, sticking needles into it couldn't possibly hurt it anymore, so, what the fk, I surmised.

See HERE for the blog with photos.

• 4 months later...

Unbelievable, works for my almost dead machine, too. It had artifacts on the screen during boot and was unusable all the time. Thanks a lot for the tip. I kept the card in the oven at 200 degrees celsius for about 5 minutes wrapped in aluminium foil. The chip was exposed to the heat directly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Demesmaeker

I am trying the oven trick now on my vgacard of my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo.

I just got it out of the oven, so I am waiting until it is cold enough to handle.

greetings,

Demesmaeker

Guest Demesmaeker

Unbelievable! It worked!

What I did :

- warm the oven up to 200 degrees celcius (hot air oven!)

- put a baking form in front of the fan inside so it does not blow directly onto the print.

- put alu foil all over the print, and I made sure that the print was horizontal, using a screw that I screwed in one of the free holes on the print.

- I took the silicone pads off the print. Not sure if this was needed.

- I left a square space over the chip, so that was the most exposed part to the heat

After the oven was at 200 degrees, I opened the door and put the print in for 6 minutes and 15 seconds.

Then I opened the door of the oven and turned it off. I let it cool down for 25 minutes there before putting it all back in the laptop.

And ...it worked immediately.

The error I had before was that after some strange artifacts on the screen, blackening of the screen and strange, random ascii characters, it would not boot up any more.

It also would not boot using an external monitor. The same would happen on the other screen.

Now..it all works again!

Thanks for the fantastic help and manuals.

• 2 months later...

Amazing. Had just about given up after being quoted £195+vat for 256MB Go6800 card. Artifacts all over XP load screen and blue screen on loading drivers. 10 minutes at 200C and all is well. Many thanks for the great info. :)