LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Just bought a "gaming laptop". Need your advice, Thanks.

s4nt0s

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum but heard lots of good things about it. I'm hoping someone can answer some of my questions regarding my new laptop purchase.

I just bought an Asus G1Sn-B1 and the specs are as follows:

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz) – 4GB RAM – 320GB HDD – BD Combo – NVIDIA G9500M GS 512mb

• Vista Premiumx64 – 15.4” WSXGA+ (1680x1050)

1. Did I make a good purchase for playing video games and running software? I'm not trying to run the games at highest settings, I just want it to run smooth with decent graphics. Crysis, Supreme Commander, etc..

2. Is this a decent video card? (NVIDIA G9500M GS) For some reason I see no talk about this video card anywhere on this forum. Is this a new model?

3. Drivers! Drivers! Drivers! This is my first official computer, so I want this thing to run smoothly and at it's best performance. Can someone recommend or point to a place where I can find drivers for my setup?

Any recommended drivers for gaming?

Thank you very much!

P.S. Mods if I posted this in the wrong section feel free to move it. Thanks :)

Edited by s4nt0s

yeah system is pretty good. new processor etc..

The video card is new, and its made for DX10 which is a bonus. But... its only a midrange of the 9000 series, so it will run new games, but only at low settings. The 9700, 9800, 9900 are for high end GFX.

I have an 8600 and even though its an 8000 series and yours is 9000 series, mine will be faster.

I think the 512 MB are DDR3 and not DDR2.

DDR3 is faster ram, and is way more stable so you can over clock the card to basically make it a 9600 card.

2) As far as drivers go, its up to u to find what works for your card. my suggestion is start at these and work your way

(use other comments in the forum)

174.93, 174.74 or 174.31 they seem the best of the 174.** versions.

175.75, 175.63 or 175.12 are the bests of the 175.** versions.My persional fav is 174.74

3) Crysis will run at low settings ok. (by ok i mean not that well, but playable)

- medium settings will be unplayable, and high will be a dead ship!

hope this helps your questions.

If u are still able, i would change the GFX card.

{30 day return??}

Wow thanks for the quick response, out of 92 views only 1 person replied and I thank you for that. Lots of good info you gave me and I appreciate it! I'm gonna start out with 174.74 and work my way up from there and If I like it I'll just keep it. As far as the graphics card goes I'm stuck with it. I bought the computer as a whole from newegg.com and they have a no return policy on laptops. The only thing I can do is switch it out for the same model so I'll work with what I have. Thanks again

Wow thanks for the quick response, out of 92 views only 1 person replied and I thank you for that. Lots of good info you gave me and I appreciate it! I'm gonna start out with 174.74 and work my way up from there and If I like it I'll just keep it. As far as the graphics card goes I'm stuck with it. I bought the computer as a whole from newegg.com and they have a no return policy on laptops. The only thing I can do is switch it out for the same model so I'll work with what I have. Thanks again

No problem. i recoment you overclock as well. 5-10% and it will improve games by 2-3 Frames /second

Plus a good driver will be the same. it all counts!

a little application called 'rivatuner' to overclock

Edited by wook

Not too bad i was looking into a ASUS system like this recently and doing some research about ASUS making computers now. They seem to be making some really nice stuff and not alot of major problems i could come by. This system is pretty decent really depends on what you want to play when you look at a system. if you play something like WoW any grandma computer out there will run it at 30+ frames but if your getting into AOC or something requires porocess information your ok for that. 9500 card is pretty decent i did some research when they came it (literally my job to do this) and the benchmarks are not up to the 8800 cards performance but still really nice. Something i did find out about this card is updated drivers can really effect the performance so make sure to get updated drivers and do some research which ones best for what your doing. Try to get with other people running same card and simular systems to know best settings each system has it's own "best settings". Also you got a nice processor in it which will keep you going pretty well through most games don't have to worry about running into CPU clogs that much. But yea i would rate this system like a 8/10 and should be really nice. GL hope and hope all works out for you

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your input. I'll get new drivers A.S.A.P.

This is a good laptop in every respect and as was mentioned with a little sensible overclocking you will attain great results!