LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Audio clicks on start and stop with Sigmatel HD

Michael Marley

My Dell Vostro has a Sigmatel STAC9205 HD codec in it, and I recently upgraded my system from XP x64 to Vista x64 (I actually did a full reinstall, not an upgrade). I have installed all of the latest drivers for everything, including driver version 6.10.0.5614 for the sound device. I downloaded this Vista x64 driver from Dell support site after selecting the model of Precision M6300. These two laptops have the same soundcard, but the Vostro does not come with x64. These drivers cause small pops whenever audio starts or stops. I have not experienced any noise otherwise, however. The pops on audio starting and stopping did not occur with the Microsoft UAA class driver, but this appeared to cause lockups quite a bit, so it is not an option. Does anyone know how I can make it stop?

try going to the soundcard manufacturer website for a more updated sound driver.

i.e i go to realtek for mine instead of clevo website

Sigmatel/IDT does not provide generic drivers for their soundcards. If they did, I would have installed those. I run generic drivers whenever I can, because integrators like Dell often remove functionality. I actually think I know what is going on here. The driver stops outputting a signal to the card (to save power?) but when it does this, there is a small pop. Power Management is disabled in the Sigmatel Settings.

Guest d3nix

dude, i've the same Soundcard with you on my Vaio FZ25G (Sigmatel HD Audio Codec). I found solution to this problem by upgrade your driver from Intel website. try this http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13706/eng/..._IDTGUI_v68.exe! extract the file to your C drive and then open your *.inf & *.ini files from your original DELL sounddrivers. Extracted to new driver (which is INTEL folder)! and then you will install like usual. Dont forget to edit your inf & ini files matched the date and the version with a new one from intel.. Sorry for bad explanation and my poor english.

Greetings from indonesia!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is not the driver, it's the power saving feature.

You can select the time after sound stops when to save power.

Some drivers default to 30secs and quite a few 5 secs then a little pop can be heard as the sound starts and x amount of time after it has stopped.

Just disable this feature in the modded drivers CP if it annoys you

Guest Guest

Also, on my dell 9500/e1705 with dell 1500 wifi nic, disabling the A band for the wifi nic removes the pops and crackles for me. Don't ask me why, I'm sure it's a driver issue somewhere, but I seen a post on a different forum about this fix and it works. You can usually disable bands by going into the device manager, getting the properties for the wifi nic, and going to the advanced tab. Wouldn't hurt to try it.