LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with Dell e1705 - Nvidia Geforce Go 7800

importunerdj

I recieved the computer with windows XP, pre-loaded on it. The user before it had alot of spyware etc..i decided to do a clean sweep and run vista ultimate. Runs smooth, very fast, only problem is, im up to specs with Aero, but if i select it, apparently i get squiggely lines/dead pixel look to it. Also if i play an HD video, it shows the same distortion as well. But it runs aero perfect, flip 3d runs fast, there are no video skips. I spoke to dell they said my computer can't take it? I read online people have runned aero with my graphics card and the same specs. Basically what drivers can i use to get rid of this problem? I will post a screen to show what i mean below:

Untitled-7.jpg

Edited by importunerdj

I recieved the computer with windows XP, pre-loaded on it. The user before it had alot of spyware etc..i decided to do a clean sweep and run vista ultimate. Runs smooth, very fast, only problem is, im up to specs with Aero, but if i select it, apparently i get squiggely lines/dead pixel look to it. Also if i play an HD video, it shows the same distortion as well. But it runs aero perfect, flip 3d runs fast, there are no video skips. I spoke to dell they said my computer can't take it? I read online people have runned aero with my graphics card and the same specs. Basically what drivers can i use to get rid of this problem? I will post a screen to show what i mean below:

Untitled-7.jpg

I had a similar issue with my XPS 1530 not sure what made it do this. Im using 174.74 and its fine now. But rememer to uninstall the current driver, go into safe mode, run driversweep. Then install thenew driver. (and INF file)

I had a similar issue with my XPS 1530 not sure what made it do this. Im using 174.74 and its fine now. But rememer to uninstall the current driver, go into safe mode, run driversweep. Then install thenew driver. (and INF file)

Ok i will try that, 174.74, do you have the same card as me so i can use the same forceware?

i just did the 174.74 forceware from this site..and still expieriencing the same problem....any other help guys?

bump can anyone help me with this? the lines are very annoying...i tried alot of forcewares from the 160's to the 170's sections...any other help?

First and foremost, Dell is giving you a load of crap. Secondly, about your problem, try some earlier drivers, 158.xx series and see if it works. Good luck!

I know you said you got rid of XP pretty quickly, but did you ever notice anything like that on it? Also, have you tried running the Video Memory Tester program? There is a new version of it out on the news page of this site.

nope didn't see anything like that on the xp, i did boot it first when i got the computer, it was very slow had a lot of spyware..but i never saw the display like that in xp

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK

[6/16/2008 7:59:43 PM] Test started for "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)"...

Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK

Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK

Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)

Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK

Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)

[6/16/2008 8:13:33 PM] Pass completed (0 errors found).

I was wrong. Sorry. At this point I am completely stumped. :)

btw, its getting worse..now i got those squiggely lines on the top display without even aero on.. quick question..does this computer need to run only x64.. cuz im running x32..maybe thats the problem?

64 vs. 32 bit would not make a difference here. x86-64 processors can run 32-bit code without any problems

• 1 month later...
Guest Justin

Don't know if you fixed your problem, but I experienced the exact same thing on my Inspirion E1705.

I tried everything I could possibly think of to fix the damn thing, but eventually the only solution I found was replace the graphics card. I'm not sure if it was just crapping out or what, but it did solve my problem and is working perfectly now.