LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce 8600m GS + Mass Effect

Guest Jazz_messenger

Guest Jazz_messenger

Hi all !

I am looking for a driver for a 8600m GS in order to play Mass Effect !

With the driver i have now i can't really ply it (i have something like 3 pictures per minute!)

I m really new about laptop and graphic gards and desperate for help !

Thanks a lot ! :)

Guest Jazz_messenger

First, thanks for your reply :)

I tried the driver you gave me for vista, and there is no change...

I am new with laptops and graphic cards, so i don't know if i have to try other drivers to make the game run alright, knowing this one is doing the job for you, or if i have to look somewhere else on my laptop to solve the problem... :)

• 1 month later...

I have geforce 8600m gs - each time i try install drivers (i tried tons, even those given above) i ger the following error "Instalation software of NVIDIA cano find drivers compling with actual hardware. Instalation ended"

Can any one help me with that?

I would like to update my drivers, but i can't do it. Mass Effect gives me dark screen form the very start.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Strange, u think a 8600M GS would tank Mass effect, 8600GT handles that game flawlessly.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest jussi

I've been having the same problem and I've tried several forceware drivers from 150 -series to the newest 179 driver. So basically, when I try to play Mass Effect, I get like 3 frames per minute. I even tried to run it as an administrator and even tried turning off the UAC, but still haven't got any luck.

Some details:

Vista 32-bit SP1

AMD Dualcore @ 2 Ghz

Geforce 8600M GS, 256 Mt

3 Gb RAM

To me it seems like with those specs the game would run propelry.

• 2 weeks later...

See here if it's not too late.

The 8600M GS is apparently quite underpowered compared to the M-GT, so you might want to try turning down some settings?

Also, might want to see if you're suffering from the downclocking "feature" by downloading GPU-Z from here, running it, then starting up Mass Effect and loading a game. This is to make sure the high-performance 3d profile is loaded.

After that, alt-tab and go to the second tab on GPU-Z. According to this link your Core should be around 600mhz and memory 700mhz. Which is significantly higher than my 9500M GS, oddly enough :) Keep in mind this issue doesn't always occur instantly.

If it isn't at those levels, you've probably got the downclocking issue. It seems to be different for every system, however a few things you may want to try:

• Different drivers. In particular the 169.xx series has apparently been promising.
  • Using powermizer Switch, which is on these forums, to disable powermizer when you're plugged in.
  • Using ntune/rivatuner to "overclock" your card to it's stock settings. If one doesn't work, try the other.
  • Clean out your laptop with a can of compressed air or something. You'll need to remove the cover, but it may help.

Apart from that, keep posting and hope someone can help :)

Thanks for the help! I'll try to see if I'm having the 'downclocking' issue. I'm using Norton 360 for virus protection and it should go off when starting any game.

I tried 169.xx, 175 and even newest 180 beta drivers and seems like the problem doesn't accord to those. Of course I tried to run the game at 800x600 resolution with minimum graphic levels, but I think I could at least run the game at full res.

Hmm.. If those things won't work, maybe I just have to wait for the PS3 version.