LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v177.26 Windows Vista 32bit | ASUS

mobilenvidia

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the quality of this driver and can you recommend it for other users?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes, even though i noticed a few bugs.

i am sick and tired of my driver downclocking to 2D clock whenever i play games

i have switched to 175.80 and back to 174.78 and its all the same story

i have my laptop on AC and it downclocks when i hit 92 or 91 degrees Celsius

==

please someone help me

acer 5920g vista 32

8600gt 256mb

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• Andrew55

• ByronGman

• Eden

you are overclocking too much. take it down a little. or get a laptop cooler to give it more space to breath. make sure there is good ventalation between laptop and surface

People are able to overclock with these drivers? How come i cant. I am using ntune. Someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Guest PANELA

Hello!

I have a Vaio VGN-FZ340E with a 8400M GT and when I installed this version I could not overclock it, and then when I downgrade to the original version I still cannot. Do somebody have a trick or I dont know to make the overclock work again?

PS: The games went a lot better with this driver, I used the 100.something version (stock version in vaios) and in the new driver the FPS are practically the same as the original overclocked, but its not equal and thats why I want to overclock. If someone find a way please post it here.

PS2: Im from Brazil, thats why my english is this poor lol

Thanks,

Guest PJ@y-Z

WORST DRIVER FOR 8600M GT DDR2 (Vostro 1500) -> 3DMark06: ~2700 :)

175.80 -> 3DMark06: 3260 @ 1280x1024 Default

PowerMizer doesn't increase the speed. Why do you want to disable it ?

It increase the battery life and reduce the GPU temp

WORST DRIVER FOR 8600M GT DDR2 (Vostro 1500) -> 3DMark06: ~2700 :)

175.80 -> 3DMark06: 3260 @ 1280x1024 Default

PowerMizer doesn't increase the speed. Why do you want to disable it ?

It increase the battery life and reduce the GPU temp

There is a powermiser bug (or not), sometime, the powermiser switch the frequencies to Low 3D performances while gaming or something like this, result of a drop in performance, you 3d Mark 06 result is strange, check if your clock speed don't change while doing the bench.

does disabling powermizer cause any crashes in the computer?

should i disable it to get the maximum performance using the compıter without the ac adaptor?

Guest PJ@y-Z

PowerMizer works on both AC adaptor and Battery mode. You can check it with GPU-Z or Everest. Just click on the Vista 3D-Flip for more time to see smooth FPS and high GPU freq.

For me, 177.26's powermizer doesn't switch to the High Performance 3D mode and I don't want to disable it :)

Ok here is the solution to problems like:

Down clocking to 2D and 3D normal mode after a few mins... or 20 mins etc.

The reason why this driver is good is because its over clocking the card.

This driver, as I stated in the very beginning runs hotter than others I have tests.

'HEAT' is the issue we are having. The reason that this card runs so well, is because the clock settings are higher than factory.

For example: 8600GT (DDR3) factor clock is: Core 475 - Mem 702

With 177.26 it states the same, but... its actually running higher. Mine was running: Core 505 - Mem 753

So.. If you have a temperamental card that does not like heat then this driver is not for you.

Solution is to change the driver.

For me, I have been testing this driver for almost a week, and going back to 174.74.

1) Download driversweep

2) Uninstall driver. (System settings, device profiles)

3a) Restart into normal mode

b- (run driversweep) this must be done to make sure you re actual using the standard VGA driver

3c) Restart into safe mode.

4) Run driversweep (clean all nvidia drivers!! not just the display)

5) Restart (normal mode)

6) {No this is where I have had issues} Even when I have all this, and used a different driver I my system still has this down clock issue. Need to restart again using the standard VGA driver. (Two times!)

7) Then install the other driver you want to install. (174.74 is the best for games on the 8600GT card)

Prompt to restart.. Do it..

(the secret is to restart when ever you change anything) dnt be lazy, as it will be the systems downfall, and yours too)

Test system. Mine is not downclocking and I have hit 90 Oc in Company of heroes.

Before I would hit 82 Oc and it would.

Worked for me. Hope so for you too.

Other than that a clean install of windows will definitely work.

Edited by wook

HKR,, PowerMizerDefault, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR,, PowerMizerEnable, %REG_DWORD%, 0

HKR,, PowerMizerLevel, %REG_BINARY%, 01,00,00,00

HKR,, PowerMizerLevelAC, %REG_BINARY%, 01,00,00,00

So your saying the 174.74 driver does not underclock after following these step and editing the INF with the lines you suggested above ? Or are your suggesting that is works without the edit ? Also with whats your OC Zook ? As we have the same system i am curious if its still "Core:550 Shader:1200 Mem:850" with 174.74, what are your temps with that OC ? Do you have any kind of after market cooling added to your 1530 ? Also was the temp increase that much more with the 175.80 you had to go back to 174.74 ?

No 174.74 (in my usage) does not underclock. If you set the clock (when overclcking) too high it stutters.. and you get a vista bubble saing that the driver has stopped responding and has sucessfully recovered. The game itself does not quit, you just at tab back into it.

I have disabled powermizer using those settings, but thats not the stuttering problem. I just don't like it, so disabled it.

For 3dMark'06 i use those settings 550/850 etc to benchmark, think it got as high s 580 and 900 but..

For games, its just not possible,

I currently have it set between 545-55 and 855-865 dependant on the game i am playing.

umm next question, Temp's WERE at 85-88 Oc, but are NOW at 80 - 83 Oc'ed using arctic paste and a fractionally larger fan but with a steeper angle on the fins. Plus using a cooler master aliminium pad. has 3 x 20ma fans on it. reduces temp by 2 0C

So all the work i did inside the system, has only had a couple of Oc difference.

You should base your system on my unmodified scores.. as follows:

Temp: Just under 90 Oc (just laptop cooler pad)

OC'ed: Core- 540 Mem- 540 (just under what its capable of, just to be safe)

3Dmark'06 score was 5,200 (plus or minus 20)

I would recoment a laptop cooler, even just it lifts the laptop off the desk/ surface to allow greater air flow. Don't worry about changing the fan. It almost set me back 2k for another laptop.

Currently have a score just under 5,500

Man i can talk...

basically 174.74 has been by far the best driver for me. have tried almost every driver on here, and it gives the coolest temps for the 3dmark'06 score. so basically you can overclock it higher (due to heat issues) thus getting a better score. I thought 177.26 was pretty good, but caused heat issues that took me ages to solve.

(if you are going to remove the fan, make sure you take your time. apply paste carefully making sure there are no air bubbles on the surface of the GPU... as they will heat up, expand and crack the paste)

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Guest PJ@y-Z

Do new PureVideo HD features work on 8600M GT ?

VC-1 & H.264 HD Spatial-Temporal De-Interlacing

VC-1 & H.264 HD Inverse Telecine

HD Noise Reduction

HD Edge Enhancement

HD Dynamic Contrast Enhancement

HD Dynamic Color Enhancement

Dual-Stream Decode Acceleration

To stop downclokcing the GPU try this, serch the regisrty for this row:

PerfLevelSrc, %REG_DWORD%, 0x3333

Change it to:

PerfLevelSrc, %REG_DWORD%, 0x2222

Serche the reg for other similar entry, and when finished reboot.

It work for me.

Guest Guest JP

----- @ Wook: Do you have any evidence (i.e., screenshots) to support your claim, Wook? I use rivatuner and have noticed no such effect. So are you saying that rivatuner is inaccurate? Besides, I OC right to the limit (710mhz) and believe me, the graphics would appear corrupt, and/or would crash, if such were occurring. Plus, that is just a pretty bold claim to say that Nvidia would release a driver that deliberately oc's your gpu, as this is essentially saying that they support a shortened lifespan for their products, a policy that their vendors would not appreciate. In conclusion: highly dubious....

Thanks for the info Wook. I think i am going to try to stick with a 525 / 800 / 1050 OC. So i like the perfomance / IQ with 175.80 ...were your temps that much higher when using that driver then your current ? Also you suggested going 540 / 840 on stock cooling... its seems like the highest you have went is about mid 90C's... in your experience is that a safe temp to consistently be at on your 1530? The fix to disable Powermizer via making the setting above didnt work so i am going to give Daws fix a shot. Thanks again for the info and keep it coming.

evidence of what? the clock speed on 177.26 or what i am currently overclocked to?

Look at the settings yourself. Open Riva tuner hardware monitoring, and open GPU-z and look at the speeds. They are different. That?s what drivers do. Run faster or slower than what they say, hence run hotter or colder. There are also a few 'fixes' added but they compromise other settings creating other issues. Dependant on what you use the driver for depends what version of the driver will be better. Example 174.74 runs pretty well for gaming, but for DVD playback there is a refresh line that occurs every 20 seconds of so.

nVidia has not released these drivers. They are beta drivers leaked (on purpose) for people to test,

Then Nvidia release what has had the best feedback on. Thats what software companies do. Officially they are not released and they take no responsibility.

I used to be a software developer and now a tester. Its pretty much what i do.

Thanks for the info Wook. I think i am going to try to stick with a 525 / 800 / 1050 OC. So i like the perfomance / IQ with 175.80 ...were your temps that much higher when using that driver then your current ? Also you suggested going 540 / 840 on stock cooling... its seems like the highest you have went is about mid 90C's... in your experience is that a safe temp to consistently be at on your 1530? The fix to disable Powermizer via making the setting above didnt work so i am going to give Daws fix a shot. Thanks again for the info and keep it coming.

90 is pretty much the highest i would go. Find yoir highest clock speed and run a little lower. Be safte and see what the peak temp is. 88 would be my pick.

Here it is... this is the driver i am testing at the moment, but every driver has a different core speed. As you can see my card dafult is CORE-475 and its actually running CORE-513 (not overclocked)

NB: i have an 8600GT, but am trying 174.53 driver under the 'have disk method" and 9600GT selected.

(its performing pretty well so far, but a lot hotter)

Edited by wook

thanks for the info, Wook, but they're the same screens!

I only uploaded one image. check the default core speed on rivatuner hardware monitor. and look at the dafault speed its set to. its different even thou i have not overclocked it... cool?

Edited by wook

Here it is... this is the driver i am testing at the moment, but every driver has a different core speed. As you can see my card dafult is CORE-475 and its actually running CORE-513 (not overclocked)

NB: i have an 8600GT, but am trying 174.53 driver under the "have disk method" and 9600GT selected.

(its performing pretty well so far, but a lot hotter)

Please give me a screenshot from your nVidia Control Panel -> Video & Television -> Adjust video color settings / Adjust video image settings

I think you've PV3 on your modded 8600M GT :)