LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Jerky mouse cursor problem caused by 6600gt AGP

Michael Marley

I am having a problem with one of my secondary computers where the mouse cursor jerks whenever it is changed by the OS. For example, if I use an animated cursor, the cursor becomes unsmooth when it is animating. If I use a static cursor, it apparently drops frames whenever the shape is changed (like to the hourglass or back). I can work around the problem by disabling cursor accelerations, but this is not an option for the long run as it causes artifacts on screen and makes the cursor incredibly flickery when it is over rendered 3D. I am currently using the 177.26 driver for the GF 6600gt GPU, but the problem occurs with every driver I have tried: 169.xx, 174.xx, 175.xx, 177.xx. Additionally, this is NOT a problem with the mouse/mouse driver. I have tried several different mice, all of which exhibit the problem. By the way, this system is not a laptop.

Here are the specs of the system:

Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2gHz

Intel D850MVSE Motherboard (Intel 850 chipset, ICH2 southbridge)

1.5 GB PC800 RDRAM

Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT AGP with 128mb GDDR3 RAM

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (Yes, I know its a bit overpowered :) )

PCI Firewire controller (not VIA based, thank goodness!)

PCI IDE Controller (Sil680 chipset)

Edited by Michael Marley

I would like to bump this and add an update: I have done some testing, and only the mouse cursor is affected by the jerkiness. If there is a 3D application or video running/playing at the same time, it runs perfectly smooth. This problem has confounded me.....

• 4 months later...