LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Any help with USB 2.0 upgrade for Dell Inspiron 8200?

Guest Tim

Hello all, I own an Inspiron 8200 and in looking through your posts on this site, I came across one that " mentions " an upgrade to 2 USB 2.0 ports but there is no topic dedicated to JUST that. I am sorry to ask this question as a guest and not a member, but I have been wondering about this for a while now and I happened to see the upgrade mentioned. I own a 4 port USB 2.0 hub and had thought about trying to hack something together, but if anyone here can tell me the way that THEY did it, it would save me a great deal of time and potentially parts, and would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, and if I find myself learning enough info on computers to be helpful to others, I will be sure to join.

I would think that would be quite difficult to replace the old 1.1 ports with newer ones, you'd have to find a 2x USB 2.0 set that is the same size as the original (if you want it to be flush with the laptop's case and look like it was never modified) and somehow get the computer to recognize it. If someone's done it, then I'm surprised, cause I've seen many people in various forums online say it's not possible whenever the question has been raised. It'd be cool though, cause I also own an Inspiron 8200. :)

I personally have been using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card when I need speed for backups or whatever. Works fine with a power tap pass-through from the PS/2 port. Not quite the 'true' speed of a real USB 2.0 implementation, but much better than the built-in USB 1.1.

• 6 months later...

i know its an old post.. but thought id just chip in.. theres also the posibility of a mini pci card with usb 2.0 tho they are only avalible from industrial/engeneering companys as far as i can se.. was trying to get one my self, but cant find any consumer vendors for it..

http://www.ieci.com.au/products/Product_Pa...Product_ID=3530

theres also one other brand i've stumbled upon, but cant find it..

Thanks for the heads-up on that one. Would be an easy solution for those who haven't already loaded up with a mini-PCI WLAN card. Would probably use the standard pig-tails and socket mapping I would suppose. Good work there!

Thanks for registering! Don't forget to fill in the rest of your equipment data so we can see what you have for future references.