LaptopVideo2Go Forums

53.04 Media Centre Edition modded for all.

mobilenvidia

That's right the latest official Forceware from nVidia.

It has supposed MC bits added, but to me looks just like other 5x.xx for features.

Oddly enough the one thing that the MCE version was supposed to have was nview 3.0, but in the orignal INF it's not even loaded in ?????

I've enabled nView in v11.69, so wer'e one step ahead already of desktop owners.

One good thing I got quite a jump in 3DMark 2001. The highest score by far.

Might need more investigation.

As always feedback encouraged, also wouldn't mind knowing what is actually different.

The extra 7MB look to me to be the International files.

The modded INF is in usual place see my profile.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

thanx pieter. faster than light, heh?

nevertheless i have keen eyes on where it happens that a 5700 gpu laptop model/driver arrives

53.04 is the first Forceware to support the go5700.

Now all I need is the PCI_ID for the GPU, any ideas ??

Now we wait for the go5750 and a new Quadro go as well.

Pieter.

Really??

Great!

Which Laptop has the 5700go included?? If it's supported then there must be a laptop out there (or at least PLANNED).

Btw i wonder how you know that the5700 is supported. Is there some reference to it in the files or documentation? I'm really interested. I will download the driver and your inf later and have a look at it. thanks again for the fastest working man at the end (or beautifullest spot) of the world.

Look in NVCPL.DLL and do a 'text' search for go5700 and there she be for the first time.

It is a bit odd because not even 53.30 has it.

There must be oodles of go5700 machines out there, the reviewers have been using them for ages but without proper support (unless they had 53.04 for a long time)

The go5700 is the replacement for go5600 and no real great advances.

I do still need the PCI_ID for it to work in my INFs.

The new Quadro go coming out looks promising.

Pieter

I'm getting very consistent results with all the 53 series drivers:

Driver............3DMark01.............3DMark03

The differences are insignificant, probably due to whatever else was going on with my machine when I ran the tests.

Machine: Dell Inspirion 5150

BIOS: A29

CPU: 3.06 GHz Pentium 4M (Non HyperThreading)

RAM: 512MB

GPU: Nvidia FX Go5200 w/ 64MB RAM

Larry are you able to run 53.04 on your 9550 ?

Would interesting to see if it also gets a jump in score. (2k1)

My score is 2543, thats 30 points higher than any other 5x.xx and 40 points higher then 4x.xx.

Pieter.

Alas, my 9550 is dead for the moment. I managed to trip over the power cord and broke the power connector on the motherboard. That's why I bought the new Dell.

I hope to repair the 9550, eventually, but the old wallet is still suffering from holiday stress.

Anybody noticed the StarStorm INF settings in the INF.

Seeing I based the 52.04 INF on 53.03 StarStorm speed INF, I forgot to remove the StarStorm settings. (I've been struck down with the FLU)

After some testing, it's the StarStorm settings that give me the extra performance.

I'm not too keen on keeping the StarStorm settings as they might reduce quality to get the speed.

I'm quite happy to modify StarStorm INFs for Laptop use.

So unless there is a people's revolt I'm going to remove the settings.

I'll put a link up for the v11.69 INF for those that like the extra speed.

Any feedback on the above welcomed.

Pieter.

HI,

i'm not familiar with the starstorm thing, but you wrote that they manipulate the .DLLs? How come that only the INF brings such a performance gain?

The only thing i noticed tonight, when comparing the 11.64 inf with the 11.69, were some entries like this, but i didnt know what they mean:

HKR,, D3d_46205529, %REG_BINARY%, 55,49,20,88

HKR,, D3d_44013233, %REG_BINARY%, 71,13,53,91

HKR,, D3d_42935363, %REG_BINARY%, 58,04,22,57

HKR,, D3d_52971801, %REG_BINARY%, 00,10,3c,3c

HKR,, D3d_54082152, %REG_BINARY%, 00,10,3c,3c

HKR,, D3d_92521178, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,02,55

HKR,, D3d_88481200, %REG_BINARY%, 10,00,00,00

HKR,, D3d_DXVAEnable, %REG_BINARY%, 04,00,00,00 (means DX VideoAcceleration, right?)

Due to my absence the last 2 weeks i thought you introduced these settings in the last couple of infs between 11.64 and 11.69. I didn't downloaded these.

And by the way i still use the 52.16 with the 11.64 inf without ANY problems after trying out all different kind of driver versions including the newer 53.03, 53.30 and 53.04.

That explains why my 53.04 results are virtually identical to 53.03 and 53.30. I don't have any of the StarStorm lines in my homegrown inf.

As far as I know, unless something has changed, the DXVA line should just be DXVAEnable, not D3d_DXVAEnable. And yes, it does refer to DirectX Video Acceleration.

WHOA! Suddenly I'm a PowerUser! 8)

Larry, welcome to the 101 club,

Starstorm, Mmmm, not sure of what to make of them.

It has already been noted on another Forum (Dell) that my 11.69 53.04 INF has less Quality.

Just as well I removed those setings.

I would assume that Directx Acceleration is already enabled, StarStorm just puts in a INF tweak to eanble what is already enabled.

The settings that make the speed difference are these (I think not 100% confirmed yet)

HKR,, D3d_46205529, %REG_BINARY%, 55,49,20,88  

HKR,, D3d_44013233, %REG_BINARY%, 71,13,53,91  

HKR,, D3d_52971801, %REG_BINARY%, 00,10,3c,3c  

HKR,, D3d_54082152, %REG_BINARY%, 00,10,3c,3c  

HKR,, D3d_92521178, %REG_BINARY%, 00,00,02,55  

HKR,, D3d_88481200, %REG_BINARY%, 10,00,00,00  

They manipulate the control panel D3D settings directly, like PCI texture mem size etc.

StarStorm does change one of the DLL's in his downloads.

He basicly uses Rivatuner to do this.

The performance gain only seems to happen on GF2go's as they have probably the most the gain.

I havn't seen any other GPU with a performance gain.

Anyway the settings are gone.

Now a question, do you guys in the Overclocking page get a switch for Fan control ?

I've been trying to enable it for ages but it might not work for GF2gos.

If it's not already turned on you will need to edit the registry and look for NvcplEnableFanControl its in the nvtweak section of HKLM software NVCorp bla bla set this value to 3

It is supposedly enables a flag in OC page.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

No joy with NvcplEnableFanControl here. I'm not sure any mobile GPUs even have fans. As far as I can tell, my FX Go5200 doesn't respond to any of the heat-responsive settings, nor do they show up in the Nvidia Control Panel. These include:

NvcplEnableFanControl

NvCplShowTempuratureSettings

EnableCoreSlowdown

and the control panel tweak:

HKLM,"SoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobalNVTweak",NvCplThermalSettings

They manipulate the control panel D3D settings directly, like PCI texture mem size  
I noticed that too, some weird high value in that box, but i thought it's a glitch from the driver/inf or something. Has that an affect on performance with our AGP cards? Since ages (PC times) I always put in the lowest possible value 2.
do you guys in the Overclocking page get a switch for Fan control ?  

NOPE. No OC page, no Fan Control. You said that before: my 460 is the fastest 4x model, therefore no OC possible.

It might be desktop only, as it does work on Desktop GPU's.

Bugger, nevermind.

Pieter.

For those in the dark about Media Centre here is what nVidia have to say :

NVIDIA ForceWare Microsoft Media Center Edition Features

Enhancing the Media Center Experience

Imagine all your digital media?TV, pictures, home movies, music?all in one place, and accessible from a single remote control. The Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition (MCE) operating system combined with NVIDIA technology turns your desktop or notebook PC into an entertainment center, making it the most exciting Windows-based computer on the market today.

CUSTOM MEDIA CENTER CONTROLS  

NVIDIA ForceWare software provides custom settings for Media Center systems. These settings allow users to control the color scheme, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, gamma, and digital vibrance of live TV and DVDs all from the simple-to-use Microsoft Media Center remote control.  

EXTENDED COLOR SUPPORT DRIVERS

With extended color support drivers, NVIDIA ForceWare software delivers a full range of dynamic color, preventing the loss of blacks and whites that commonly occurs when converting between video and standard computer monitors. By offering the full spectrum of color, NVIDIA color space conversion preserves the original color fidelity of video information for a richer, truer viewing experience.

NVIDIA DIGITAL VIBRANCE CONTROL

ForceWare features NVIDIA® Digital Vibrance Control? technology with special color control settings so you can adjust the levels of digital vibrance, brightness, contrast, and gamma in your photos.

And here is what Microsoft have to say :
Windows XP Media Center Edition  > Product Information  

What Are Media Center PCs?  

Content Updated: September 30, 2003  

Powered by Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, Media Center PCs are complete Windows XP PCs enhanced for home entertainment. These computers represent the evolution of home PCs into digital media hubs that bring together your entertainment choices and allow you to access them with one remote control. Media Center PCs come equipped with all the necessary hardware to deliver powerful computing and an enjoyable home entertainment experience.

Media Center PCs are complete entertainment PCs because they include:

Mid- to high-end processors  

More than enough memory for your computing and entertainment needs  

High-capacity hard disks  

CD-ROM/DVD drives  

Advanced graphics and audio capabilities  

Networking connectivity  

Each new Media Center PC meets the minimum system requirements of Windows XP Professional and may include the following components to enhance your entertainment experience:

A Media Center compatible remote control that keeps all of the entertainment on your computer within easy reach, and complements the keyboard and mouse.  

A remote infrared (IR) sensor that enables the remote control to communicate with the computer, and also controls your cable or satellite set-top box.  

An advanced graphics card for displaying the best TV experience on your computer monitor.  

A TV tuner that captures your television signal from a cable, satellite, or antenna source.  

A hardware encoder that enables you to record TV shows from cable, satellite, or antenna to your computer's hard disk.  

A TV output that allows you to display Media Center content on a television connected to your computer.  

A digital audio output that allows you to integrate digital audio from your computer into an existing home entertainment system.  

In addition, many of the features of the newest Windows Media® player?Windows Media Player 9 Series?are optimized for Windows XP and are especially useful when installed on a Media Center PC.

For More Information

Visit the Media Center PC Showcase to see the variety of Media Center PC models that are available to you.

Watch the new Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 Demo and get a clearer picture of how you can use it.

Look over resources for software and hardware developers on the Developing for Media Center page.  

See Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 Scenarios to find out more about what Media Center PCs can do for you.

To learn more about using Media Center and Windows Media Player 9 Series together, see Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 and Windows Media 9 Series Work Better Together.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

the MCE version was supposed to have was nview 3.0,
i've seen on the nv website that the normal (not MCE) 53.03 driver has nview 3.0, too. Can anyone confirm this?
No joy with NvcplEnableFanControl here. I'm not sure any mobile GPUs even have fans. As far as I can tell, my FX Go5200 doesn't respond to any of the heat-responsive settings, nor do they show up in the Nvidia Control Panel. These include:  

NvcplEnableFanControl  

NvCplShowTempuratureSettings  

EnableCoreSlowdown  

and the control panel tweak:  

HKLM,"SoftwareNVIDIA CorporationGlobalNVTweak",NvCplThermalSettings

same to me.