LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Editing VGA-Bios as workaround for PowerMizer problems?

carrera1988

Hi,

I know from my desktop Nvidia Card the the core speed etc. is written in the Vga bios. There it is split up in 2d, low 3d and high 3d.

Whould it be a solution for the PowerMizer problems if all three lines would have the same values?

PS: Is it possible to flash the VGA-Bios on notebooks?

Guest Unknown Entity
Hi,

I know from my desktop Nvidia Card the the core speed etc. is written in the Vga bios. There it is split up in 2d, low 3d and high 3d.

Whould it be a solution for the PowerMizer problems if all three lines would have the same values?

PS: Is it possible to flash the VGA-Bios on notebooks?

Hi, it is actually possible to disable powermizer theorically by editing the VGA BIOS by changing the number of performance level from 3 to 1. (Though I have not tried this myself). Maybe you can try it?

I would try it, but at the moment I want to wait till more users say something about flashing bioses at notebooks.

Guest Unknown Entity
I would try it, but at the moment I want to wait till more users say something about flashing bioses at notebooks.
If you're talking about BIOS level overclocking, I've done that and so far everything is fine, the overclock is permanent.

I am not sure if it is possible to flash Video BIOS on laptops. I have used NiBiTor to extract my BIOS and look at the guts, but I have never tried to flash anything back. I know on some laptops the Video BIOS is integrated into the System BIOS.

Not sure if this is relevant, but it will help under clocking which is the main problem for powermizer.

1) In the BIOS of your system you can DISABLE 'speed step'

- This will actually make your CPU processor run at full speed all the time, using more battery. But as a result the fan also runs a lot more cooling down the CPU. Now if you have had a look in your laptop you will notice the S bend heat sink is connected to Both the CPU & GPU. So this in turn cools the GPU a lot more also.

(I have an 8600GT, over clocked to the same speed as an 8800GT. Highest temp I have hit so far is 68 Oc. With speed step enabled I got up to 91 Oc and then my system would under clock the GPU)

2) http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...d=1#post3503177

- Go to that link. Follow the instructions editing your registry.

(Now I have not tried this, as the first step worked like a charm. I also didn?t find such entries in my registry to modify. I'll stick with leaving my registry alone and just changing a setting in the BIOS)

Enjoy!

SpeedStep is completely different from PowerMizer. SpeedStep is the function which slows down Intel processors when they are not in use. Disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS, at least on my PC, actually locks the CPU into the Lowest performance mode, rather than the highest. Because the laptop most likely has just one cooler for both the CPU and GPU, this reduces the temperature of the GPU as well.

SpeedStep is completely different from PowerMizer. SpeedStep is the function which slows down Intel processors when they are not in use. Disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS, at least on my PC, actually locks the CPU into the Lowest performance mode, rather than the highest. Because the laptop most likely has just one cooler for both the CPU and GPU, this reduces the temperature of the GPU as well.

umm yea.. I never said it was the same. was just adding an idea that some people might want to try. It enabled me to overclock way more than i had been able to previously. Plus games don't need much CPU to run at max performance. Its all about the GPU