LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Q & A for all issues on 8600GT

wook

mass effect is on avg +3c (got up to 85c max) than crysis, cod4, css, tf2, dods, grid (which is usually 80c or below)...you get the picture

i have 175.80 right now, i'm gonna try 174.74

it seems that the undervolt is not enough, but i'm not willing to do anymore so it's back to drivers :)

PS. i'm not so sure about speedstep deal

EDIT: idle temps for 174.74 are just a bit higher (62~65 as compared to the 175.80 which were near the 60~61 side)...do u suggest i go back to 175.80? I'll come back with another edit when I bench with some gaming.

EDIT2: I must say that I'm impressed with 174.74's ability to stay cool under performance, however, 175.80's idles are much, much better. Is it too much to ask for 175.80's idles with 174.74's performance? lol. I'm still unsure about which one to use.

Edited by zhe90

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wook

• ktadie

• Michael Marley

• idro

Yeah essentially the 174.74 driver runs faster, so hotter as a result.. But compared to some others it?s still way cooler for the performance you are getting. 175.80 is ok... good temps. so you can over clock it higher.. that might be a solution for you.

Im currently testing 177.66, but have had to over clock to 600 -900 clock speeds to get the same performance I had with 174.74... But is very cool temp wise.. even with the over clock.

** If only 174.74 had no issues with DVD/ movie playback... some lines scroll down throughout the movie.. almost the perfect driver.

Speedstep is only an option if your system runs very hot... it decreases the temp by 20 Oc... but also cuts the processor power in half.. (reduces the voltage to the CPU)

im hitting 75 Oc (peak game play) and that?s currently overclocked to 595core - 895mem using 177.66

(as I mentioned earlier I had my system overhauled {new mother board/ heatsink/ fan and thermal paste}

was running 95 Oc

could try that one and over clock it to same as mine, see if you like that.. and compare temp's

Edited by wook

I must say that I am impressed with 177.66

My idles are a little lower than 174.74, about the same with 175.80

I ran 3dmark06 and I got 300 more points. I did oc a little higher (up too 594/895). Temp hit 77 during 3dmark06. I will come back with tests on temps and stability during gaming. Also for the speedstep, I already undervolt my cpu, so I'm not going to mess with it anymore.

Created this topic as there are a lot of people with 8600m cards, creating a lot of questions. Post them here and together we'll answer them ALL...

Drivers are the first order of buisness. I have used over 40 drivers, have just done a format of C: and a clean install of vista 32-bit. 174.74 has been my choice for over 2 months now, but have installed 177.26 to give it a chance.

2) Overclocking using rivaTuner 2.09.

Core - 645

Shader- 1425

Mem- 834

Now, with these settings the system heats up quite a lot. I have modified my internal fan, but that didnt show as much difference as changing one setting in the BIOS.

2b) In the BIOS of your system you can DISABLE 'speed step'

- This is supposed to make your CPU run at full speed all the time, (but i have noticed it not preforming as well) it uses more battery. But as a result the fan also runs a lot more because the CPU will get hotter. This in turn cools down the CPU.

Now if you have had a look in your laptop you will notice the S bend heat sink is connected to Both the CPU & GPU. So this in turn cools the GPU a lot more also.

You will be able to overclock more than ever before.

Enabled speed step - Temp: 90 Oc (overclocked)

Disabled speed step - Temp: 68 Oc (overclocked)

yea, on this specific laptop disabling speedstep lowers your cpu clock by 1 GHz... no joke, i tried this and noticed big performance decreases like you stated... it even says so in the bios itself. so i dont care if the temps are higher... i will not lower my cpu by 1 GHz, thats crazy haha.

just one question. howd you modify your internal fan?

ohh yea btw... my oc settings are 590/810/1180. cant go much higher especially in BF2 otherwise i get driver crashes.

Edited by coolcop06

i work as an IT facilitator for a college, so have many parts at my disposal.. just tried lots of fans, and ended up finding one that was the same size, but had steeper fin angles.. lowered temp 2 Oc.. but have noticed it not doing any improvement now.. must be old i gess...

• 1 year later...

Hey Wook, its me again.

So I reformatted my laptop without thinking about

the driver and all that.

Would you still reconmend 174.74 for

windows vista 32 bit with nVidia gforce 8600M GT?

thanks again!

Just a question

I have a acer aspire 5920G with a Gefore 8600GT, have the laptop for almost 2 years now.

My temps are

Idle

CPU's 55°C

GPU 55-60°C depending on how hot it is in my room (winter around 50-55°C - Summer 55-60°C)

Stressed

CPU's max 70°C

GPU max i've seen so far 80-82°C

So far it's ok but what I wan't to ask, how long will my GPU go like this with these temps how longer will his lifespan be?