LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT Problem

Phreakuency

Alright, so here is my problem. I have an Asus G2S-A1 that is getting stuttering. It is not heat related because I ran a test and it got up to 190F fine and the program ran (Unigen) but the Call of Duty 2 MENU stutters and so does it in game, I think it might be with the amount of video memory in the driver, if not the GPU itself. The driver is reporting that the card is 512MB whereas the specs on this card are really 256MB GDDR3. Framerates are consistant at 76-80, and the stutters aren't showing up in any frame rate logs.

Please help, I have scoured the internet and cannot find a solution. It could be the wrong driver, I have no idea anymore.

Thanks,

Phreakuency

next don't just start new feed. There are heaps of topics for 8600GT.

What driver are you using?

COD 2 is quite an old game, so new drivers will probably not fix this issue. If its not happening to other games, then its either the game or the driver. Are you overclocking? that will be a whole new ball game if you are.

ill save you the trouble. all you have to do is, right before you boot up your game is put your computer to sleep momentarily and wake it back up. what this does is that it raises the max temp of your gpu to 110 degrees Celsius before any stuttering occurs.

87.8 degrees C (190 F) is quite hot for a GPU. Is your cooling system working OK? I have never seen my 8600gt get above 70 C.

Edited by Michael Marley

Yes, my cooling is working fine. In fact, I had just sent the unit in for service. And as far as the first post goes, I have read EVERY thread on here about the 8600M GT and tried EVERYTHING and it doesnt help. Also, CoD2 is not the only game it is happening with, it happens with CoD4, BF2, STALKER, etc. Also, the unit is stock, no overclocking.

Is it possible that the driver is allowing programs to use up to 512MB of video memory where the card only has 256MB?

Thanks,

Phreakuency

I have figured it out. As I thought, it was DirectX related. What was happening was when xfire was loaded up, it would automatically load the overlay (which uses directX). My theory is that the overlay was refreshing at a different rate then the game, and that was causing the stuttering. I will be contacting Xfire to see if they can code a fix for it. Sorry for the trouble all!

Sorry. I do not have any experience with xfire, so I did not know.