LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce Go 7900GS - CS:S starts out great but FPS tanks

Guest Robert

Guest Robert

I have a Dell E1705, C2D 2.0ghz, GeforceGo 7900gs with the newest 175.80 drivers. They work great - the stress test averages 140fps at 1440x900, with default options (which is everything but full AA)

Playing works great, too - doesn't dip below 70.

However! - After about 10 minutes or so, the FPS tanks to unplayable levels (think 9). Quitting the server and doing the stress test again averages <30.

The temperature monitor doesn't go above 88C - safe - so it's not throttling itself.

Any guesses? I have 2GB ram, so I doubt it's swapping... no disk activity...

It seems weird that it starts off great and drops back down, I'd be thinking memory leaks but that doesn't seem to be it.

p.s. This happened with other drivers too.

p.p.s. Just thought of playing with taskmgr open and checking the memory/cpu graphs - will get back here.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Robert
I have a Dell E1705, C2D 2.0ghz, GeforceGo 7900gs with the newest 175.80 drivers. They work great - the stress test averages 140fps at 1440x900, with default options (which is everything but full AA)

Playing works great, too - doesn't dip below 70.

However! - After about 10 minutes or so, the FPS tanks to unplayable levels (think 9). Quitting the server and doing the stress test again averages <30.

The temperature monitor doesn't go above 88C - safe - so it's not throttling itself.

Any guesses? I have 2GB ram, so I doubt it's swapping... no disk activity...

It seems weird that it starts off great and drops back down, I'd be thinking memory leaks but that doesn't seem to be it.

p.s. This happened with other drivers too.

p.p.s. Just thought of playing with taskmgr open and checking the memory/cpu graphs - will get back here.

Thanks in advance!

So it turns out that the cpu graph was rising, steadily approaching 100 - basically logarithmically.

The culprit was the "NETWORK SERVICE" version of svchost. Killing the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" dropped its (constant) CPU usage from 20 to 0.

Trying it now.

Guest Robert
So it turns out that the cpu graph was rising, steadily approaching 100 - basically logarithmically.

The culprit was the "NETWORK SERVICE" version of svchost. Killing the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" dropped its (constant) CPU usage from 20 to 0.

Trying it now.

OK, it's not a CPU issue - it hovers around 60, even when the FPS drops.

I'm out of ideas...

This sounds like a classic case of PowerMizer down-throttling. Try disabling PowerMizer and see if the problem still occurs.

Guest Robert

Oh, wow - I had turned it off, but I guess it went back on after the driver upgrade.

Thanks a bunch! That was the obvious one - I thought it had something to do with my CPU down-stepping... but this would do it too.

Guest Robert

Update:

Yes, that fixed it beautifully. The drivers I'm using work marvelously. I absolutely love this card and laptop.

I've started playing around with overclocking. My GPU temperature was a constant 88C or so, spiking to 90 when playing a game. I blew out my computer, the fan, etc. and it's hovering around 57C.

The default clocks (at least on this laptop) were 375/507 (core/mem, MHz). I bumped it up to 459/614 (the maximum allowed by the test) and it still hovers under 70C.

Between the overclocking and the beta drivers, I'm pushing 200FPS where I was reaching 90 before. Thanks LaptopVideo2Go!