LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vostro 1500 8600m Issue

Guest Fllash

Guest Fllash

Hi guys,

I got the Vostro 1500 about a week ago, and im pretty impressed with it so far.

However, there is one thing that is irking me. Im almost every game that i have played, low resolution and low settings, the framerates are unacceptably slow (under 10 usually)

Specs:

Core2 Duo 5470

8600M GT 256 GDDR2

2GB of 667 ram

The OS was irrelevent, both XP PRO and Vista Buisness scored esssentially the same in games.

3Dmark Score was 3300 ish, about average for the card i believe.

Games that i have tried and that this is evident in are:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (ranging from 7-12 with all settings low and 1024x768 in a small map skirmish with two players)

CNC3 (with all on high and 1280x800 under 10 fps, with al on low and lower resolution, capped at 30, untill i blow something up, then chuggs along at 5 fps ish untill the smoke clears)

Crysis: With everything on medium, and 1280x800 resolution, the first scene with the aeroplane ran at about 5 fps, and with all on low and 800x600 inside the plane no higher than 15 fps.)

Timeshift runs acceptably at 1280x800 with all on medium, no AA or AF. About 20 fps on average.

Gutar Hero 3 (not a very demanding game) runs at 60 capped, all settings on high.

So im not happy about the lack of FPS in most games, considering i hear that people get much better rates than that.

Driver-wise, ive tried 169.04, 169.06o, the 158.46 or something close to that.

I havent got around to overclocking yet, i want to sort this issue out first.

Im not very savy with the 8600m GT yet, or any Mobile graphics card, however, i have an inkling that it has something to do with clock speeds, or drivers. (well, im hoping that it isnt a hardware issue.) Everything else seems to work fine. Aero in Vista, i get 4.7 Windows Experience Index (5.3 for gaming graphics).

If anyone would be able to give me insight into thier FPS, so i know what i should be getting.

Also, and possibly mostly, if anyone knows what the sam hill is going on, id be greatful to know - this community seems to know what's what with graphics.

Thanks,

Josh.

If you're referring to the performance demonstrated on this site, they are OCed with DDR3 version of 8600M, and with a much better processor. There is nothing you can do lest:

Change your processor

Change your video

Add rams

Get a good HDD

OCed like a madcow

What you can do however:

Tune down your game settings, who the @#$% play in those settings? (based on the range of machine which you have . . .)

Suggestion:

You should have gotten 8800M GTX instead ... duh ... (based on your choice of games . . . scary)

Hi guys,

I got the Vostro 1500 about a week ago, and im pretty impressed with it so far.

However, there is one thing that is irking me. Im almost every game that i have played, low resolution and low settings, the framerates are unacceptably slow (under 10 usually)

Specs:

Core2 Duo 5470

8600M GT 256 GDDR2

2GB of 667 ram

The OS was irrelevent, both XP PRO and Vista Buisness scored esssentially the same in games.

3Dmark Score was 3300 ish, about average for the card i believe.

Games that i have tried and that this is evident in are:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (ranging from 7-12 with all settings low and 1024x768 in a small map skirmish with two players)

CNC3 (with all on high and 1280x800 under 10 fps, with al on low and lower resolution, capped at 30, untill i blow something up, then chuggs along at 5 fps ish untill the smoke clears)

Crysis: With everything on medium, and 1280x800 resolution, the first scene with the aeroplane ran at about 5 fps, and with all on low and 800x600 inside the plane no higher than 15 fps.)

Timeshift runs acceptably at 1280x800 with all on medium, no AA or AF. About 20 fps on average.

Gutar Hero 3 (not a very demanding game) runs at 60 capped, all settings on high.

So im not happy about the lack of FPS in most games, considering i hear that people get much better rates than that.

Driver-wise, ive tried 169.04, 169.06o, the 158.46 or something close to that.

I havent got around to overclocking yet, i want to sort this issue out first.

Im not very savy with the 8600m GT yet, or any Mobile graphics card, however, i have an inkling that it has something to do with clock speeds, or drivers. (well, im hoping that it isnt a hardware issue.) Everything else seems to work fine. Aero in Vista, i get 4.7 Windows Experience Index (5.3 for gaming graphics).

If anyone would be able to give me insight into thier FPS, so i know what i should be getting.

Also, and possibly mostly, if anyone knows what the sam hill is going on, id be greatful to know - this community seems to know what's what with graphics.

Thanks,

Josh.