LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Wich driver (best if one of latest) lets you overclock?

.Hack

First of all, hello people. I'm kinda new in here (posting, but it's been a while reading), sorry for my bad english, and I hope you can help me =]

I've been trying (althought not much) to overclock my 8400m gt, and by far, without possitive results. Probably a driver issue.

I tried using rivatuner and atitool, my drivers are 174.74 with original INF as you may already know (yes, the one that comes with +40 infs). My card is an 8400M GT, 256 DDR3 VRAM in a Vaio FZ notebook.

The thing is that whenever I move the sliders, either in rivatuner or atitool, and click the "accept" or "apply" buttin, they go back to their original position. Why is that happening? It is because this driver version won't let you overclock? I was using 169.09 and I had no results neither.

Does anyone here knows of an actuall working (for overclock I mean) driver? I will preffer it to be 17x.xx series because they're newer (to play "newer" games =P). Your help will be greatly appreciated. And if anybody here can OC with 174.74, then what could be my problem?

P.S: Using Vista x86 Home Premium by now.

Thanks in advance!!

Guest Guest
First of all, hello people. I'm kinda new in here (posting, but it's been a while reading), sorry for my bad english, and I hope you can help me =]

I've been trying (althought not much) to overclock my 8400m gt, and by far, without possitive results. Probably a driver issue.

I tried using rivatuner and atitool, my drivers are 174.74 with original INF as you may already know (yes, the one that comes with +40 infs). My card is an 8400M GT, 256 DDR3 VRAM in a Vaio FZ notebook.

The thing is that whenever I move the sliders, either in rivatuner or atitool, and click the "accept" or "apply" buttin, they go back to their original position. Why is that happening? It is because this driver version won't let you overclock? I was using 169.09 and I had no results neither.

Does anyone here knows of an actuall working (for overclock I mean) driver? I will preffer it to be 17x.xx series because they're newer (to play "newer" games =P). Your help will be greatly appreciated. And if anybody here can OC with 174.74, then what could be my problem?

P.S: Using Vista x86 Home Premium by now.

Thanks in advance!!

Remember that RivaTuner is quite buggy when overclocking on notebook. (This can be shown from the monitor in RivaTuner and the clock speed shown in GPUZ-Z). To overclock using RivaTuner, plug in your lappy to AC power before you overclock. From there, find the sweet spot you wish to overclock your lappy to. And after you're sure of the clock speed you want to overclock to, plant the values into the BIOS of your graphic card (If you want to disable PowerMizer, you can also alter it in the BIOS itself by changing the performance level from 3 to 0) Hope this helps =]

I would preffer not touching the BIOS of my GPU because I live in south america. If I have problems I will have to send the laptop back to USA (consumes tim and time IS money for me), and once it is there, I don't even know how sony support is (they take a long time repairing it, they don't and so on... stuff like that).

I know of people who can overclock their systems, with certain drivers and no BIOS mods. I just want to know wich drivers they use, and the newer the driver, the better. Just that =P

But thanks anyways. If i can't find a soluttion guess I'll just have to stick with the bios mod solution. I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if i can solve this. But thanks anyways!! =]