LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HELP! I need rid of Vista on my Gateway FX!

Huntsforu

I have a Gateway p-171S-FX with C2D T7250, 8800M GTS, and Intel 965 Chipset. Can anyone tell me if it would be in my best interest to go to XP instead of Vista? I play World of Warcraft and FEAR mainly, would i see a big boost in performance? Thank you!!!

XP, at the current time, provides gaming performance which can be anywhere from slightly to greatly better than Vista. Whether or not the difference would be worth switching operating systems, I would think not.

cool, thanx for that, i hate to say it but i was kinda getting used to using vista anyway.

Vista really isn't all that bad, after you get used to it.

Guest Jeremy

I own the Gateway P-6860FX and was considering doing the same thing... going back to XP. I had almost started to do so over the weekend, but "luckily" received a BSOD error while running the XP install CD (thinking because it was an older version of XP, pre SP-1). I decided to remain with Vista, not only because I had trouble with installing XP from that CD, but because Vista SP-1 does seem like a great OS.

I own the Gateway P-6860FX and was considering doing the same thing... going back to XP. I had almost started to do so over the weekend, but "luckily" received a BSOD error while running the XP install CD (thinking because it was an older version of XP, pre SP-1). I decided to remain with Vista, not only because I had trouble with installing XP from that CD, but because Vista SP-1 does seem like a great OS.

yeah, i also got the BSOD with my SP2 disc.... dont know what thats about but im happy with my laptop. Only prob with me is that i saw a guys posting of his 8800m gts and he got a score of 8850 on 3dmark06 while even if i overclock mine to critical levels it only pulls 8050... anyone with any knowledge on that i would be grateful

Which driver are you using for your videocard?