LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I screwed something up with my drivers?

Guest np2090

Guest np2090

I tried un-installing the current drivers I have for my 8600M GT. Upon doing so the only thing listed in my device manager under display adapters is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". I'm using Vista 64bit on a Sager NP2090 if that helps any. I'll be the first to admit that I am definitely not very tech savvy, but I was following the instructions I was given to a "T". I'm a bit timid about doing anything else until I know how the problem can definitely be fixed. I'm deployed at the moment, so my options are strictly limited to the internet. Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Apologies for being a complete idiot.

Perfectly normal, if you ask me. When no driver is present, the standard garphics adapter driver by Microsoft is used, and is not card-specific. Hence, the "standard vga graphics adapter" you see in the devices manager. The correct name will be restored when you reinstall drivers for your geForce.

Guest NP2090

This is honestly the first time that i've tried this so I wasn't sure. Just to clearify, once I run the setup on with the new driver it will still detect the hardware and install, at which point the said hardware will again be usable? My apologies again, I was just in panic mode I guess, being this is the first time i've attempted. What threw me off is the instructions told me to install the new drivers from device manager, which was not possible (from what I could tell) after I un-installed the previous drivers. Mostly due to the fact that the device wasn't there. Thanks so much!

what happened to you is perfectly normal.

under vista if you uninstall your nvidia/ati drivers it will automatically install a generic display driver standard vga

by installing via have disk method, under device manager you right click 'standard vga' and select update drivers.

if you feel its concerning or worried by installing it by that method.

you can just double click on 'setup.exe' and the process is automated somewhat.

This is honestly the first time that i've tried this so I wasn't sure. Just to clearify, once I run the setup on with the new driver it will still detect the hardware and install, at which point the said hardware will again be usable

that is correct.

anymore probs feel free to ask by please read the FAQ of the forums first.

Guest NP2090
anymore probs feel free to ask by please read the FAQ of the forums first.

I skimmed through one, but in my frenzy I'm sure I missed what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the help, and withstanding my uneducated questions.