LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Running COD4 on an m1710

Guest AnhVu

Guest AnhVu

So I have an m1710 (specs are T7200 @2.0 GHz, 2GB of ram, vista 32-bit, and Geforce Go 7950 GTX). I think my laptop should be able to run COD4 pretty well but I'm getting around 40-50 fps, but it constantly drops to around 15. I don't know what's wrong with it but could it be the driver? I'm using the 175.93 driver but I guess that's not working. I've tried a few others too but to no sucess. Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity, what resolution are you running the game at?

you mean it runs at 40 FPS then the framerate drops to 15. Then it goes back to 40 FPS? Or does it stay at 15FPS?

If it stays at 15 FPS then the usual problem is the driver not responding. This can be heat, or overclocked too much.

Run a temp. monitor when you are running the game, and when it goes to 15 FPS check the data.

Clock the GPU down by 5 or 10 Mhz until it becomes stable.

Or...

If it goes back up to 40 then down to 15 repeatibly... then its probably powermizer. Look here to solve this issue:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=261929

hmm... if it does it every minute, then i would change the driver.

Try 174.74 was good for me on vista-32. Or similarly try 175.12 or 175.16

Before you install the new driver, download 'driver clearner' (free) to a clean out all other fragments of older driver versions.

1) uninstall current driver (then you'll be using standard vga adapter)

2) restart into safe mode, run driver sweeper, clean ou Nvidia drivers

3) restart (normal mode)

4) install new driver

Guest AnhVu

Wow I changed my driver and it helped a lot! I was getting up to 100+ FPS with everything maxed out at 1680x1050. But now when it drops to about 20 FPS it stays there. The highest temperature my GPU reached was 101 degrees C (it's about 70 when I'm not doing much...). BTW I also followed the directions you gave me dealing with the powermizer. Thankyou very much!

I am glad you got it worked out. Changing a driver can work wonders.

But now when it drops to about 20 FPS it stays there. The highest temperature my GPU reached was 101 degrees C (it's about 70 when I'm not doing much...).

Wow, even my probably burned go5700 didn't reach over 95... but it behaved just equally - so most probably the driver doesn't recover from heat caused downclocking until after a reboot.

101 is prtty hot man... your are overclocking correct? maybe you should crank it down a bit. or get some air circulation, put a couple of pens underneath the back or something.

Guest AnhVu
101 is prtty hot man... your are overclocking correct? maybe you should crank it down a bit. or get some air circulation, put a couple of pens underneath the back or something.

Actually it's stock. I think I turned off powermizer (not 100% sure I did it correct) and it runs quite well now. Thanks for the advice =). Unfortunately I think my GPU or CPU got too hot and my computer shut down. I think one of my fans may be broken or the inside may be dusty. I really appreciate all the help and advice you gave me. :)

A very good tool for cleaning out the insides of laptops is one of those cans of compressed air.