LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 6800 in Dell 9300

Guest Adam

Hi All,

I've been scouring the internet for some advice on video drivers, and I've had a lot of it, but no that made much sense of actually worked(!)

I am running a Dell Inspiron 9300 on XP with the standard drivers, but in order to play Gears of War I was compelled to install a newer video driver, which in all fairness did allow me to play the game. However, since then I have been suffering with a flicker on my display. It almost looks like a refresh problem, in that the desktop flickers in waves from the top to the bottom.

I rolled back the driver to the original Dell GeForce Go 6800, but the flicker is still there. I wouldn't mind so much, but I do a lot of video editing and I noticed the interface for Premier CS3 is now flickering while I edit - major pain!

Does anyone have any noobish level advice on what to do to correct this problem? I would just stumble on myself but a few threads on other foprums seem to suggest that getting my display device drivers wrong could result in a blank screen and with my low tech level of expertise I could end up having to send my PC away to be 'repaired'.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Adam

Are you by any chance using an external monitor? This sounds like a problem which would occur with those. Additionally, this topic should be in the Support Discussion forum. Can someone with moderation privileges please move it there?

This problem is occurring on the built-in laptop monitor, however, I also use a second flat panel monitor quite a lot when editing, and I didn't notice this until editing - so it might be related to the external monitor in some way. That said I am getting the flickering on both the laptop screen AND the external monitor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hopefully it's an easy one !

A

Since it is happening on TFT LCD monitors, it does not seem much like a refresh problem to me. Did you notice any of the flickering when you were originally using the Dell drivers?

No. There was no flickering before I started updating drivers.

Incidentally it only seems to happen when I use programs like Premier, Camtasia and Photoshop. The flickering itself looks like screen elements (i.e. tool bars and video tracks) flickering alternately. Then it settles down and will be fine for a few seconds to a minute, then it starts flickering again.

If I have the program running in a window I can also see the icons on my desktop flicker at the same time.

A

What is the latest driver you have tried?

Hi there,

I'm just going to copy the info from the device manager:

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800

Driver Provider NVIDIA

Driver date 06/07/2005

Driver Version 7.8.1.1

Digital Signature Not digitally signed

Is that enough info?

A

I also just noticed that I have another display adapter listed

Mirage Driver

manufacturer DemoForge

Date 11/01/2008

Driver version 2.0.105.0

not digitally signed

A

I am running a Dell Inspiron 9300 on XP with the standard drivers, but in order to play Gears of War I was compelled to install a newer video driver, which in all fairness did allow me to play the game. However, since then I have been suffering with a flicker on my display. It almost looks like a refresh problem, in that the desktop flickers in waves from the top to the bottom.

I rolled back the driver to the original Dell GeForce Go 6800, but the flicker is still there. I wouldn't mind so much, but I do a lot of video editing and I noticed the interface for Premier CS3 is now flickering while I edit - major pain!

OK Adam. I would first suggest returning to whatever your 'standard' driver version [from Dell?] was, in an attempt to see if your flickering is then gone, as you say it was 'before installing a newer video driver'. By the way -- 'GeForce Go 6800 is the name of the Nvidia graphic card installed in your Dell 9300, it has nothing to do with Dell. Dell does however provide their own supported video drivers for that card in that laptop model.

The flickering itself sounds like a conflict in the refresh rate the graphic card feels obliged to produce, and the actual capabilities of those LCD monitors.

How about registering [and thus filling in all that pertinent information], so that we can all see the details of your system?

That Mirage driver is probably some sort of specialized proxy driver needed by one of your video editing applications. :)

"The flickering itself sounds like a conflict in the refresh rate the graphic card feels obliged to produce, and the actual capabilities of those LCD monitors. "

Yep that sounds spot on! :) The driver that u are using is not the latest from dell. I believe the latest are 156.xx. Try them and see what happens/