LaptopVideo2Go Forums

"Failed to initialize render subsystem" <- Help!

Guest Panzer

Guest Panzer

This bug has been posted on the Age of Conan forums a few times, and everytime it was related to not quite meeting the minimum system requirements of being able to use Shader model 3.0.

My anecdote of how-everything-went-to-hell is slightly different.

Having tried the recently leaked beta drivers (177.35, to be precise), I did actually enjoy a slight fps increase so I decided to keep them. I had been playing AoC for a week or two by then, with a consistent 30-40 fps at all times, and with the new beta drivers I was getting 40-45 fps. There was much rejoicing.

Now, to give some backstory: I'm currently level 47 in the game, and this is the level where you do a bunch of levels in the so called "villas". Due to changes in the Shader Model structure in the 177.35 beta drivers that clashed with Age of Conan (Bear in mind, these are unofficial drivers), this would cause some slowdown. To the tune of 40 fps ---> 2.3 fps

For this reason I decided to try the 175.80 driver from guru3d.com, because it was cited as being really stable, quick and reliable. Sounded good to me at the time.

And this is where the DRAMA happened.

My AoC refused to start up, citing: "Failed to initialize render subsystem". When turning my second 8800 GT off, removing SLI and all that crap, the game would start up and function just fine, but at lower fps than before and ###### it: I have two video cards, I at least want to have the illusion that it's doing something with that.

Obviously, I just want to be able to use my 2 video cards again, and don't understand why 175.80 has suddenly screwed up a perfectly well working system.

What I tried so far:

-Driver sweeper complete removal of old drivers, reinstall 177.35 (Because it worked just fine yesterday). End result: Same "failed to initialize" crap.

Same as above, but installing the 175.19 ones. Going to try the even older ones soon too.

Anyone encountered this before and able to help me out? =\ It just seems as if my computer isn't even realizing I have a second graphics card, even though it'll allow me to turn on SLI. O_o

Update: Spore creature editor won't start up either when SLI is enabled saying that it can't find a graphics adapter. Turn off SLI and it works fine again. -_-

Thank you so much in advance for any help that you can give me. (((

Specs: Intel core 2 Duo 3,3 ghz

4 gigs OCZ ram

2 x Asus 8800 GT's

win xp pro 32 bit.

Could settings within the game itself be causing it to fail like this? A few times when I have changed video drivers, I have had to erase the video configuration files of my games and let them build the files again. Have you tried anything like this?

Guest panzer
Could settings within the game itself be causing it to fail like this? A few times when I have changed video drivers, I have had to erase the video configuration files of my games and let them build the files again. Have you tried anything like this?

But all of my games? And with settings that worked only an hour or so prior?

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'm going to try that out.

This is a really frustrating error btw. >_<

Guest panzer

Wait...You want me to reinstall a game that hasn't even been mentioned anywhere in the post, even though it's specifically stated that ALL games are giving errors.

I appreciate the input though, I'll... see if it does anything, even if I feel that perhaps you didn't read the thread. If you did, I profusely apologize.

Further updates: Did a completely clean install today to 175.16, one of the delicious old drivers that seemed to work so well in the past... Still the same errors... "Failed to initialize rendering sub system" and "Could not create graphics device. Directx is missing. [1002]" for Age of conan and Spore respectively.

(Also note, directx is not in fact missing.)

Guest Panzer

I take it from the lack of replies that no one knows how to fix this. :)

I got a suggestion on another forum to update my bios, but I generally prefer to stick to a bios version that is stable if I can help it. Is it possible that changing to the beta drivers has caused some motherboard malfunction?

I think what Dox meant was reinstall Age of Conan and try again. If you haven't, you should also try updating your DirectX.