LaptopVideo2Go Forums

LaptopVideo2Go Folding@Home Team

Michael Marley

LaptopVideo2Go has now begun a Folding@Home team for users of the site. Folding@Home is an initiative of the Stanford University. The goal is to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases. When proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

If your laptop or desktop PC is properly(!) cooled you can participate by downloading a stable CPU client either with GUI or console only. You can also try the NVIDIA GPU client in order to dish out more WorkUnits (WUs) as of the superiour crunching performance of NVIDIA GPUs.

Note: it is not a good idea to run any of those clients in a 24/7 manner on laptops with a bad thermal design. Bad thermal design can be noticed when your laptop is constantly overheating even only running light everyday tasks like writing documents, browsing, watching pictures and videos or listening to music.

Our teamnumber is 134478.

Statistic Links:

2009-01-29: Rank: 1606, WUs: 4280, Score: 1025516

2008-08-11: Rank: 3735, WUs: 1446, Score: 250514

2008-06-25: started team

Edited by ®®®

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• astrial

• ®®®

• Michael Marley

• RFrancis

I just checked, and we already have 3 users and 8 Work Units. Great job so far, let's keep it up!

Should work on any card on this page.

At least it does work on my 8600M GS :) Just check to use a driver, that supports Cuda !

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

I promise I will contribute to this, too. Just right now, my PC is in for service for the third time in 3 weeks. The PC I am using instead has a crappy ATI card. My system should be back on Monday.

ATI poster here, lets get him guys :)

Hey, wait! I normally have a computer with a GeForce 8600m GT? Don't you see my sig? Just right now, my PC is broken down so I cannot use it! I will have it back tomorrow.

Thats OK then, call of the Air Strike boys :)

That's fine. I have an Air Missile Defense (AMD) system anyway! (No, just kidding, I am really an Intel fanboy!)

laptop wise i'll stick to nvidia

desktop wise ive always been ati.

have you got the stats on how many has joined the team mike?

That's fine. I have an Air Missile Defense (AMD) system anyway! (No, just kidding, I am really an Intel fanboy!)

Traitor!!! I'm calling in the abrams to take you out, ######!

naz! is edited out, you've got to be kidding me

Edited by TheGuruStud

I really am an Intel fanboy. Nothing can touch Intel, laptop or desktop. As for statistics for the team, so far there are 32 CPUs active.

6 of them here :)

But probably not consistenly in the future. Too much power drawn and rising energy bill if all cores are running 24/7 at 100%

Just trying it out again to see how it has developed compared to a few years ago. GUI client looks the same as what i can remember. I#m using the console version which should run faster. At least that's what i learned from SETI back in the days.

That's alot! Do you think you can keep any of those running over the long term?

Has anyone got F@hmon to work? Piece of crap just sits there doing nothing. I want to benchmark b/c I think my perf on f@h is crappy.

Yes it works here. I assume you have tried to rightclick in the empty white space on the left and added a the proper path to the client...

Stupid me, I assumed it was the install directory.

How's 5,235 ppd sound on an 8800GT? It's going up, but w/e, around 5,300.

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Sounds great to me :)

i got only 200 to 300 ppd with intel cpus :)

hi guys, another folder here...

i am currently with Team VRZ (VR-Zone Forum)...

juz wanna share some tips with u guys...

The GPU2 client is very dependent on Shader, followed by Core... RAM doesn't help at all...

thus it's recommended to raise the shader to highest possible and core to lowest possible if u re thinking of reunning the client 24/7

currently folding on my GF8600M GS GDDR3 @ (core/shader/RAM) 275/1200/350

dishing out 1.6k ppd as according to FAHMON...

the difference in ppd as compared to default clock (500/1000/700) is not much...

happy folding

PS: btw, wat's the team number of u guys??? i m considering switching team as the guys in VR-zone doesn't seem very active... i can't find the team in FAH's team statistic list, but i can find it in Kakao Stats... strange...

Edited by astrial

team number "134478"

thanks for the tip mate :)

and please do join!

np my friend...

thx for the team number...

btw, if u re running a GPU2 client already, go ahead and install the SMP client on the same machine as well, this combination gives the highest PPD...

and in case u re wondering abt the PPD:

8800GT - min 4000 PPD

8600GT - approx. 1600 PPD

8600M GS - approx. 800 PPD (yes, this is actually a correction, i mistook the PPD on my 8600GT for my 8600M GS)

HD3850 - approx. 1500PPD

somehow Nvidia yields a higher PPD than ATi cards :) ... which of course caused many ATi users to complain :)

juz wanna tell u guys that i ve joined lp2g in fah

u all may wanna refer to here (i am a link) to see who will u overtake within the team, and how the team is doing...

ohh, and also, if we are the top 2000 team, u can create a forum siggy with FAH info!!!

i will post more on that when we are top 2000...

Edited by astrial

thanks astrial :)

i will be joining the team once i get back to windows xp :)

im in a clan called techious, we rock woot woot XD XD

Can somebody provide a link to a list which holds and compares the average PPDs of INTEL/AMD CPUs and NV/ATI GPUs?