LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Blue Screen of Death on Restart after Driver Upgrade of Geforce 8600M GT on my Inspiron 1720

gafy

Hi

I have Dell Inspiron 1720 with Geforce 8600M GT with 256M GPU RAM and 4GB system Ram. I am using 169 series drivers and want to upgrade to 175 or 176 series I have tried all teh 170 series drivers with modded infs and they install fine but after I restart the system during boot gives blue screen of death with the error that NV4_disp has executed an illegal instruction. The only way is to go into system restore and roll back to 169 series driver.

Please help as I am having problems with the refresh rate with my current driver. My native screen resolution is WUXGA 1920x1200 and operating system is xp pro SP3.

Many thanks.

When you are upgrading the drivers, have you been using Driver Sweeper to completely erase the old ones? Also, what is your refresh rate problem? If it is the fact the the display runs at 50hz instead of 60hz, simply find the line in the INF that says "lvds_reduce_frequency" and change the value from 1 to 0.

When you are upgrading the drivers, have you been using Driver Sweeper to completely erase the old ones? Also, what is your refresh rate problem? If it is the fact the the display runs at 50hz instead of 60hz, simply find the line in the INF that says "lvds_reduce_frequency" and change the value from 1 to 0.

No I havent been using driver sweeper. I dont have the CD of the currently installed 169 series driver and I am afraid that If i remove the current one and am unable to boot with the new one with the blue screen coming in. The issue is that on battery power with low screen brightnes on grey pages i kind of see moving lines of shades and it only goes away when i use the screen with full brightness. the problem only comes with xp ( i have vista as dual boot and no such issue there) so i am sure the issue is not with display hardware but with the current driver or refresh rate. i have tried both 50 and 60hz refresh rate but to no avail.

Please advise if it is necessary to use driver sweeper and a working link for that and brief procedure.

Many thanks.

You should use Driver Sweeper. It can be downloaded from here. Also, it will not affect your ability to use system restore, and even if it did, all the drivers which have ever been released are available in the archive here, so you would not have a problem.

You should use Driver Sweeper. It can be downloaded from here. Also, it will not affect your ability to use system restore, and even if it did, all the drivers which have ever been released are available in the archive here, so you would not have a problem.

Thanks. that solved my problem. Just one last question though, of all the various driver versions out there which one is the best for my 8600M GT 256MB Ram. Thanks for your help.

I find on my 8600m GT 256mb that 177.39 is the fastest. However, I have heard of some people having temperature issues with that version. If it doesn't work well. then try 175.16.