LaptopVideo2Go Forums

XPS M1530 Users?

MMBosstones86

Just ordered this laptop yesterday and wondering what I should expect as far as gaming and benchmarking goes. any other reviews would be great. Heres the specs -

Intel® Core蒂 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)

3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi® Xtreme Audio Sound Card

Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

High Resolution,Black glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD(1440x900)&2MP Cam

anyone can tell me what they think that'd be great.

Kyle

I have a similar system with the same display and graphics card, and most games run pretty well for me. I have heard you can even play Crysis, except not at native resolution. Just make sure you use the latest drivers. They improve the performance alot.

Hi Bosstones

I have that exact machine... except you have the better screen...

even so... it rocks!

it handels everything I can think of thhrowing at it.

I have had some driver issues with games (GOW)... but hopefully thats sorted now... I found that sticking with the standard per-installed drivers it works best for games.

No need to overclock if the thought has crossed your mind... its lightning.

Itas1a really pleasurable machine to work on...

althoug it does not have a "base" unit (mini sub for laptops), its sound is remarkable, clear and crisp... fairly loud aswel.

The remote you get with it is sweet... to be used with the media centre app... and also Dell's own media direct (very similar to media centre)

One thing though, if you want to wipe the dell pre-installed crap... and do a fresh install the Dell install DVD DOES NOT HAVE THE DRIVERS, and you have to download them all from the dell site.

other than that, its great!

Let me know what you think!! :)

P.S: 3dMark 06 I get standard about 46** and with overclocking (600 core and 800 mem) got it up to about 53**... seemed stable... didnt keep it on there for a decisive period.

With the 169.09 drivers I got it up to about 47** standard. Could not play GOW though so used the dell standard drivers instead... still happy!

I had readyboost configured, but didnt make a noticable difference so I disabled it. :)

P.S: You should have Vista Ultimate... which meens that you couldmake use of windows dream scene (using video clips or dynamicaly generated motion desktop wallpaper) Very fancy... if you like things like that.

im a proud owner of my XPS M1530... i have 4gb of ram so i can have dual channel enabled... i have 2.2 processor... good u got 2.4 its better. same gfx card, im pleased with it but ive seen alot better, but overall its a good solid card... and i have 7200 rpm 200gb hard drive which giver faster load times..

anywho overall im very pleased with my system, and its great for gaming... hope you enjoy it too! :)

I have seem lots better also, however for the price its is the best ... feel free to compare it at www.notebookcheck.net

on a 1-2-1 level is outperformes all notebooks in its class... barr maybe the McDonalds McBook pro. :)

Proud owner of xps 1530 spec in left hand panel. Slower processor then all posted above but serves me very well. Gets a bit hot when gaming but it can game. Plays Gears of War really well (word of advice, apparently there isn't any difference in image when DX10 is turned on only motion blur which isn't needed and AA but its no biggy if turned off) other games like COD4 and Bioshock run like a hot knife through butter! Assassin's Creed is good as well. Overclocks like a beast. More than any other 8600m gt I've seen up to 690/975. 3dmark06 4567 on stock and 6023 with OC (not 690).

Advice for gaming...get a cooler it helps.

Guest Jithin Rao
Hi Bosstones

I have that exact machine... except you have the better screen...

even so... it rocks!

it handels everything I can think of thhrowing at it.

I have had some driver issues with games (GOW)... but hopefully thats sorted now... I found that sticking with the standard per-installed drivers it works best for games.

No need to overclock if the thought has crossed your mind... its lightning.

Itas1a really pleasurable machine to work on...

althoug it does not have a "base" unit (mini sub for laptops), its sound is remarkable, clear and crisp... fairly loud aswel.

The remote you get with it is sweet... to be used with the media centre app... and also Dell's own media direct (very similar to media centre)

One thing though, if you want to wipe the dell pre-installed crap... and do a fresh install the Dell install DVD DOES NOT HAVE THE DRIVERS, and you have to download them all from the dell site.

other than that, its great!

Let me know what you think!! :)

Dude I did the same, formatted the Factory sent one and did a new install ... actually i am not gettin the FPS that i was gettin when the games where runnin on the factory installed... do u think its only because of the drivers??? if so, does DELL's site give you the latest updated drivers that they use for before sending to the customers??? i don't think so .. i tried the same still in vain... i had to overclock it.. with nTune..

I just redid my installation again with all dell's standard drivers, and it seems to be really better.

my vista score went from (Graphics) 5.3 to 5.5 by only re-installing. Must meen something hey?

Did you install the Dell driver only after the fresh install? I dont think that this driver allows overclocking

Guest Jithin Rao

DELL's Drivers don't allow overclocking.. i had to install the drivers from here and overclock it... from the very beginnin Vista has been rating my lappy 5.0.. always..

if you overclock your card, it should go up...

Its a bit naff that the overall score is the lowest score in the table...

hey guys im deciding if i should get the xps m1530 original specs except with 8600m gt, or a acer aspire 5920G with 8600m gs. any1 give me some advice?

I REALLY RECOMMEND THE xps m1530!!

If you do want to go for the ACER, make sure the Graphics card is DDR3, not DDR2... huge difference!

Apart from that , the XPS out performs the ACER on all counts.

Have a look at the reviews here... www.notebookcheck.net. Pay attention to the benchmarks and the PCMARK scores... They have it all!

Let me know what you think :)

yes it seems to be better than the acer aspire when it comes to games, but ###### also more expensive, the acer costs £549 and i dunno how much the xps cost, maybe £700?

The acer looks good... for £549... its a good buy.

You can pick up an XPS M1530 for £649 with the 8600 gt DDR3, if you choose the base model and upgrade the graphics card only

Still has 3gb RAM, 250 GB hdd and a C2D 2ghz

Acer 3dmark 06 = about 3200

M1530 3d Mark06 = about 4600

Thats a lot better for £100 extra.

As you said in your first post, you cant decide, and if that is the case choose the best you can get.

P.S: The xps is much prettier in real life compared to the internet pics... solid build, amazing screen (I only have the 1280x800, but very crisp and clear with amazing colour.

I am obsessed!!! haha!! as you can tell I really like my laptop. :)

what ab out battery life? which has longer battery life? coz thats important for me

xps battery life will be inferior. The light show will give you bad battery life.

duh...light show?

XPS series laptops have lights everywhere. While, in theory it looks spectacular, it isn't practical for people who want battery life. And most of the lights can't be regulated from what i've heard, however, if performance matters, the XPS1530 will own the Acer in most respects.

ill get the xps then, ty, although im only allowed a new lappy after gcses, im thinking on using it for university, do you think i should get it next year or in 3 years time where ill be going to uni?

If you can stand the wait, then it will most likely benefit you the way mobile technology is getting better continuously. For someone like me who just will not be able to stand the wait then I would buy it next year, but that's just my opinion.

i wonder what gpu could be put into xps m1530 in 3 years time? lol it probably would be discontinued coz its so old by then

ill get the xps then, ty, although im only allowed a new lappy after gcses, im thinking on using it for university, do you think i should get it next year or in 3 years time where ill be going to uni?

If you are only getting it next year, you might as well wait for the newer versions which is undoubtably on its way.

ref. the battery... here is a quote from a reviewer:

"The measured battery runtime of the 56 Wh battery ranges form about 80 minutes under load to a maximum of 223 minutes in energy-saving mode (minimal brightness, wireless functions off).

The runtime during DVD playback was only 85 minutes (profile: balanced, maximum brightness). When watching DVDs in energy-saving mode, the picture flickers.

The rating of the runtime is clearly better in practice during WLan operation. In energy saving mode, it is possible to work about 3 hours unplugged. Although we would still recommend the 9 cell battery for intensive mobile work, this runtime allows reasonable mobile work with the 6 cells battery possible too. "

ok so i should wait for 3 years then...ok so about the battery, well would the 9 cell battery stick up under the base or would it fit cleanly like a 6 cell battery?

The xps series is most likely not going to be available after maybe a year from now. So, the chance of you buying a 1530 3 years from now is limited to ebay.