LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen stay black on Vista...

FrancoisH

Hello there,

• My PC Start correctly, battery plugged-in and power cord as well.
  • My PC Start correctly, power cord pugged-in and no battery

But...

If I start it, just with battery and not the power cord, then, I can hear the welcome music of VISTA, I can even log-in or reboot using keys of my keyboard, but screen stay black... totally black. So Windows is starting but do not initialize video when power cord is not plugged in.

Do you have an idea ?

All is working perfectly if I disconnect power cord AFTER the boot initialization.

Regards.

P.S. For information, this happens with every driver (174.x 175.x) but not with dell WHQL (156.x)

Edited by FrancoisH

have you tried mobile drivers such as 174.90 / 167.62?

they support the 8700MGT out of the box and no need for modded inf.

From the looks of it it might be a powermizer problem. Disable it and see what happens.

From the looks of it it might be a powermizer problem. Disable it and see what happens.

How may I disable powermizer ?

Just curious, but how is this a powermizer problem?! If it doesnt even show the first BIOS screen, before it even loads an OS, during the POST, then how is it POSSIBLY powermizer?! This theory depends on whether the BIOS boot screen is shown on battery... But this was not actually stated, just an asumption!

There are also predefined bootup clocks for this, due to the fact the OS hasn't loaded. Therefore powermizer is not actually in use then

Edited by aliveanddead86

Ok I'll explain again...

When I boot up on battery, PC is loading correctly, I see Windows starting bar... I can even access to the safe mode.

The problem is if I continue the boot, it's going to happen, and I'll hear normally the windows welcome sound, Windows is responsive (I can put in hibernation mode or everything...) and I can even reboot "normally" using keyboard... just I have to do it like if I was blind because screen stay black.

With the power cord pluggid in, I have no problem at all.

This do not happens with driver 156.x, and never happened before, just happened with 174.31 and 175.16.

have you tried drivers 174.74... maybe those drivers just arn't your computers cup of tea :)

Tested all those, same thing... I reverted to 167.51, the only that nVidia offer for my card and this is solving the issue (as I supposed first)...

There's something in the latest my Vista Installation don't like. I'll probably have to reinstall it soon.

Regards.

Edited by FrancoisH

I got the same problem when playing with my 2D clock settings with RivaTuner - lowering them too much, even within the scale. Perhaps your driver setup did something to the default clocks; best to try the newest drivers as they pop up.

All drivers before 17x.x work perfectly, and all the 174.x and 175.x make this issue appearing.

I'm having the same problem, just did a fresh install of vista, I used 175.16 drivers and when I boot up on the battery I get the black screen. I can log into Vista but it stays black.

I used 167.51 drivers and they work fine.

On my old install the 175.16s worked fine.

Oh I really don't feel like re-installing...

Same machine, same problem here. The issue is reported on Dell's site but no solution so far...

Pellinore you got the 175.16 working on Vista ?

What could be the difference between your two installations ? What the first one OEM ? RTM ?

Would be great to solve this because performance is way better with 17x.xx

Vista is OEM.

I also had other versions working on my old install, 174.xx, can't remember which one.

One funny thing is I installed 177.41 on my old install, work fine but it did not have the SLI tab. On my fresh install the SLI tab is there but it has the boot on battery issue.

Did your problem happen on a fresh install? Did you install the video driver 1st right after the Vista install, that is what I did, this is the only thing different than my previous install.

Edited by pellinore

I tried it on my PC, and this problem does not occur.

I made a fresh install with Vista SP1 MSDN. At first, I installed every last versions of drivers from DELL website. Since the performance was poor with 3D, I changed for the modded INF from this site (Can't remember the exact version, 171.x maybe). The performance boost was clear but I realized a few hours later what the display was blank on battery. I tried every version since with no luck, except the 167.51. I don't have SLI by the way.

Was your previous Windows setup the one preinstalled by DELL ? Did you reinstall using the supplied OEM disk ?

Michael, you got this working on m1730 with 8700GT ?

No, I have a Vostro 1500 with 8600m GT. I just thought I should mention that though, since I had a Dell.

Don't know what I did, but I have it working now. The only thing I did was install 3dMark06 with 167.51, than I installed 175.16 just to see and it is working. 177.41 still do the battery thing though.

The 175.16 is not working for me. I'll try installing 3dmark first (?).

I just tried :

Install 3dmark and run benchmark

Reboot

Remove 8700GT from device manager

Reboot

Update Standard VGA card with 175.16 modded from device manager using the "have disk" method

No luck with that, still no display on battery ; I just don't get it...

Guest Nick

Same issue here with all driver versions.

XPS 1730M 2 x 8700M 256mb

Vista 32bit Home prem

Dell installed driver, then dell performance driver and most releases from here since the 174's

Now im on OEM clean install of Vista ultimate 64 using 177.35 and same issue.

No other problems with the system whatsoever, system is running and everything the screen just stays black. Plugging the power back in does not bring up the display either thats the first thing i tried. Nothing obvious in the windows power settings or the bios that would cause it so i assume its purely driver related but my knowledge ends at figuring out what.

Its not the end of the world as the machine isnt really 'portable' but it'd be nice to quickly turn on to check things without plugging it in.

Seems that installing a fresh Vista leads to this on m1730.

Could a clean install be missing a tweak or an update ? - except Quickset I didn't install any Dell apps.

Like I said I don't know what I did, the only thing I did do was install 3dmark06 ran it, than I install 175.16 and the battery thing was gone. Wish I could be more help.

Now I have problems with 1080p but thats another story.

I'm definitely going to to a fresh install later this week when I have time since something was not right.