LaptopVideo2Go Forums

how to disable vista underclocking of vid card

Urbanos

Hello everyone, thank you firstly for all your excellent hard work and persistence! i cannot convey how helpful you all have been.

i recently bought an asus m50sv-a1, comes with the nvidia 9500m GS 512mb, and vista home premium x86

followed you guide and updated the drivers to 177.35

i'm using rivatuner 2.09

currently i have the card stabily overclocked from 475/400 to 650/550.

in riva tuner it shows 3 sections for clock speeds, 2D, low power 3D, and Performance 3D.

i can adjust the 2D and the Performance 3D but not the low power 3D.

here is my issue, i've played around with the vista power settings, and the asus power4gear extreme settings to enable no throttling or power saving features at all during AC plugged in mode. yet it still throttles itself constantly.

i'll fire up a PSX emulator and start playing some games, first like 60 secs it runs great, 60fps, then the card throttles itself to lowpower 3d mode and my FPS go down to 30.

i thought i read somewhere on this site about how to disable windows vista x86 from throttling my card at all, but i can't seem to find it anymore on here.

PLEASE HELP! how can i stop my video card from underclocking/throttling itself ?

i've added the gpu-z image of what my performance settings are set at., and the riva tuner hardware monitor to show that the card only goes from 2D to low power 3D settings and doesn't actually kickin to performance. any ideas?

there are no bios options for anything of the sort. no bios updates either.

when try to manually adjust the vga bios with nibitor it bluescreens the system.

post-26567-1214688166_thumb.jpg

post-26567-1214688472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Urbanos

Have a look at this post.

excellent! i couldn't seem to find it, and i kept getting lost using the forum search function! it worked easy as pie!

thank you very much

excellent! i couldn't seem to find it, and i kept getting lost using the forum search function! it worked easy as pie!

thank you very much

woops

spoke too soon! grrrr

upon boot, riva tuner profile gets loaded (650/550)

then couple minutes in, throttles to 'low power 3d setting (275/200)

/

help?

Are you sure you changed "PerfLevelSrc" to 0x2222 ?

Try playing around WITHOUT overclocking, see if the problem persists, if it doesn't, then it's probably because your clocking speed is too high

yeah it has nothing to do with the overclocking, its something else, i tried a different driver, i went from 177.35 to 176.80, but i also changed a setting in the rivatuner options, you can have it startup via registry key or via startup folder, and i put it to startup folder. now it seems to be working. :)

That is correct. Overclocking should have nothing to do with it. Does the 0x2222 value make a difference?

That is correct. Overclocking should have nothing to do with it. Does the 0x2222 value make a difference?

it actually seems to be working fine now, for whatever reason, like i said, i did the recomended registry changes to disable powermizer, x3332, and then setup a profile to load with the startup folder instead of registry key with riva tuner. thats about it.

correction, with 177.35 was giving me problems, but now with 175.80 seems to work no issues.

i'm going to keep messing around.

the thing that bothers me the most is that these modded inf's don't allow nibitor to register my card properly. so i can't just mod the bios to how i want it.

I think your problem with NiBiTor might actually be caused by Vista rather than by the drivers, because NiBiTor always worked fine for me when I was using XP x64. Since I upgraded to Vista x64, I have not been able to use it, even after I enabled the loading of unsigned drivers.

• 1 month later...

I use 177.79, and have upgraded back to XP x64. (Yes, upgraded.)