LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PhysX FAQ

mobilenvidia

For those who have no idea what this is, here is nVidia's FAQ on what, who, where, why on all things PhysX :)

What is NVIDIA PhysX Technology?

NVIDIA PhysX is a powerful physics engine enabling real-time physics in leading edge PC and console games. PhysX software is widely adopted by over 150 games, is used by more than 10,000 developers of all types and is supported on Sony Playstation 3, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PC. PhysX is optimized for hardware acceleration by massively parallel processors.

Today's AGEIA PhysX processor provides an exponential increase in physics processing power and soon PhysX-ready GeForce processors will be enabled to take gaming physics to the next level.

What is physics for gaming and why is it important?

Physics is the next big thing in gaming. It's all about how objects in your game move, interact, and react to the environment around them. Without physics in many of today's games, objects just don't seem to act the way you'd want or expect them to in real life. Currently, most of the action is limited to pre-scripted or ?canned' animations triggered by in-game events like a gun shot striking a wall. Even the most powerful weapons can leave little more than a smudge on the thinnest of walls; and every opponent you take out, falls in the same pre-determined fashion. Players are left with a game that looks fine, but is missing the sense of realism necessary to make the experience truly immersive.

NVIDIA PhysX combined with CUDA-enabled GeForce GPUs will deliver the computing horsepower necessary to enable true, advanced physics in the next generation of game titles making canned animation effects a thing of the past.

What is GPU PhysX?

NVIDIA's industry-leading CUDA-based GPUs are being enabled with NVIDIA PhysX technology. With this combination, we will ensure that gamers and developers alike can take advantage of the most compelling physics on the market. Physics is a natural for processing on the GPU because, like graphics, physics processing is driven by thousands of parallel computations. NVIDIA is committed to making the gaming experience exciting, dynamic, and vivid. The combination of graphics and physics impacts the way a virtual world looks and behaves. And soon, GeForce will deliver both in one compelling package.

Why is a GPU good for physics processing?

The multithreaded PhysX engine (originally from AGEIA) was designed specifically for hardware acceleration in massively parallel environments. While AGEIA's PhysX processor had tens of cores, NVIDIA's GPUs, have as many as 128 cores today, so they are well-suited to take advantage of PhysX software. More importantly, the GPU architecture is a more natural fit than a CPU because of the highly parallel and interactive nature of game physics. PhysX will provide gamers even more value utilizing either today's or tomorrow's GPUs.

Which NVIDIA GeForce GPUs will support PhysX and when will GPU PhysX be ready?

NVIDIA will deploy PhysX on CUDA-enabled GPUs later this year. The exact models and availability will be announced in the near future. Please click here for more information on CUDA ZONE.

How do games get PhysX-optimized?

NVIDIA provides game developers with the world class PhysX SDK (Software Development Kit) which enables game developers to create next-generation physics features and hardware acceleration capabilities. Not only is the software unmatched in functionality, stability, performance and scale, it's also supported by nearly every major development tool and enables straightforward cross-platform support for Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStaton 3. NVIDIA continues to add features to new revisions of the PhysX SDK, which game developers will integrate into the latest and greatest titles.

What is the AGEIA PhysX Processor?

The AGEIA PhysX Processor is the first dedicated hardware accelerator for PC games that enables dynamic motion and interaction for a totally new gaming experience. It is available as a PhysX Accelerator add-in board from leading system and add-in card makers today.

NVIDIA acquired AGEIA Technologies in early 2008 and continues to evolve the entire PhysX platform from both a software and hardware perspective. This is just the beginning of a new era of physics enhanced gaming.

What are the basic system requirements for the AGEIA PhysX Processor?

The PhysX Accelerator and AGEIA PhysX system software require a PC running Windows XP Pro, Home or Media Center Edition or Windows Vista with the most recent service pack installed, a minimum of 512 MB of system memory, a vacant PCI expansion slot, at least 50MB of free hard disk space and an additional 4 pin molex power connector (most systems will have one available, if your system does not, a Y-adapter can be used).

Note that requirements to run specific PhysX-enhanced game titles will vary and should always be followed for the best possible game play experience.

Where do I get PhysX system software | drivers?

PhysX system software is available online from NVIDIA's driver download section.

I want to add PhysX to my game? What should I do?

Go to NVIDIA's Developer Zone for everything you need to know about the NVIDIA PhysX SDK. You can download the PC binaries for free and start developing now.

I use PhysX in my game development now? How do I enable it to take advantage of GPU PhysX?

Continue developing based on your existing PhysX software platform. Your development efforts should take advantage of GPU PhysX when new system software is delivered to gamers later this year. For more information, visit NVIDIA's Developer Zone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

My apologies if my question is in the wrong thread but if you can answer my dumb question thank you!

My system specs include a seperate Ageia Physx card - how do i know that Physx card is actually being used in any way at all since my video cards have Physx built into them also? The drivers for the PCI card are installed with no issues. The only hardware to select in the NVCP for Physx is my second GPU and my CPU.

Model: XPS 1730

LCD Resolution: 1920x1200 (WUXGA)

Video Device ID (Mobile): (060B) GeForce 9800M GT SLI

RAM: 1024MB

System BIOS Version: A10

PowerMizer Enabled: Yes

GPU Overclocking: No

Operating System: Win7 Professional x64

Other Information: 2.6 Ghz dual core 2 processor

Ageia Physx Card