LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT Crazy Overclock

Guest Clark

Guest Clark

Ok so yeah i was messing around with overclocking today and somehow i managed to get the gpu clock rom 460mhz to 600mhz 100% stable and no heat issues and the memory is what got me confused because i took it from 502mhz to 885mhz and its still 100% stable?! whats going on? I rly want to push it to see were its max is but my games are running crazy good rite now as it is!

Sounds to me like the GPU might actually not be overclocking. Have you ever overclocked it to a speed where it showed instability?

How do you test stability? Running 3dMark06 is a substandard and preliminary stability check for overclocking.

How do you test stability? Running 3dMark06 is a substandard and preliminary stability check for overclocking.

if you are using rivatuner you can click on hardware monitoring,and see the actual clock speed and temp.. or use GPU-Z (on the home page) and see if the clock speeds are set to what you actually specified.

for testing just run a game. Then see how it stands up.. and that is if your card has actually 'stuck' at the clock levels you selected.

My guess is the same as Michael. Don't think the speed settngs you have selected have been applied.

Edited by wook

Better download ATITool and run the Artifact test; if you're not already doing so. I have a similar gpu (9500M GS) and I had a crazy core overclock that seemed stable, but when I ran the Artifact test - I was getting mad Artifacts. I do have a pretty high overclock now and I'm perfectly stable (just below the threshold on all three clocks).

Default = 475/950/400

OC'ed = 655/1524/488

(Generic PnP Monitor Actual Numbers)

Default = 513/1026/399.60

OC'ed = 702/1620/486

But it works somehow; my defaults are 625/800 and 3DMark coughs nicely at 778/982 first with

gfx errors (black triangles, flashing) and then freezing after the fan has speeded to 100% speed.

Same settings with another driver may work much better. Different benchmarks work also differently, tolerating different degrees of overclock. The AtiTool test is good.

Ok so yeah i was messing around with overclocking today and somehow i managed to get the gpu clock rom 460mhz to 600mhz 100% stable and no heat issues and the memory is what got me confused because i took it from 502mhz to 885mhz and its still 100% stable?! whats going on? I rly want to push it to see were its max is but my games are running crazy good rite now as it is!

Hey! Actually you can get to 645 Core, 895 Memory without problems.