LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Chasing my tail reinstalling XP with nVidia GeForce 6800

Guest Aaron

Guest Aaron

Hello,

I had an XP operating system crash, and had to reinstall everything on my Dell Dimension Desktop. I downloaded drivers, directly from Dell, as well as nVidia for the 6800, and I get the same results "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." I started searching around the net and found this site, and downloaded 177.41_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql, same result. I read much of what has been posted here, am I missing something? Could my video card be bad or corrupted in some way shape or form? I am running the car now with the most basic VGA driver that comes with XP and the performance is terrible, any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Aaron

have you downloaded the modified inf file as well?

On the same driver page, you will find 'modified inf file'

You need to download this as well as the driver.

Once you have downloaded both double click the driver, it will extract driver files to a folder. Then copy the 'modified inf' file into that folder. It will ask if you want to replace the existing inf file. say 'yes'.

Then run setup.

done.

Edited by wook

Guest Aaron
have you downloaded the modified inf file as well?

On the same driver page, you will find 'modified inf file'

You need to download this as well as the driver.

Once you have downloaded both double click the driver, it will extract driver files to a folder. Then copy the 'modified inf' file into that folder. It will ask if you want to replace the existing inf file. say 'yes'.

Then run setup.

done.

Thanks for the quick response, I just tried what you suggested, and downloaded the moded inf nvlt.inf, and placed it in the temporary folder with the extracted driver files..... Same result? Any other ideas? Could something be wrong with my video card now?

ok just want to clarify...

you double clicked the driver file. it extracted the files to a folder called... eg 174.74_vista then copied the modified inf file to that folder?

if you have... {make certian that the driver you downloaded has been extracted to a folder. then inside that very same folder is where you copy the modified inf file. Then after this, run setup.exe} and didnt work like you said,, then you will have to do the following.

1) uninstall driver, so you will be using 'standaard VGA adapter'

2) restart into safe mode

3) run an application called driver sweeper (free to download)

4) sweep clean the Nvidia drivers

5) restart into normal mode.

6) run setup, install driver

7) restart.

8) done... should be ok.

Edited by wook