LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia GeForce 8600M GT... Safe to DL 177 driver?

Guest Jeff

Guest Jeff

Hey guys!

So far I've went from a 174.3x to a 173.93 and it's been a blast. But since I'm running Age of Conan on a laptop and could use a driver that has more graphics, I was wondering if it is advised to go to the 175 or even 177 series? I looked on the 175/177 series and I didn't see my video card anywhere in the "CODE" section... does that mean that if I download it it has a good chance of messing up? Since I want more graphics, it is advised to go to the highest 177 driver there is?

Thanks!

The higher the driver number, does not directly corrospond to the driver being better. For example 177.** adds support for newer cards, plus fixes problems that have become apparent durng testing. Might not actually be better for certian cards, as they might create other issues. crashes for certain games etc.

For you you might want to try 174.74 or 175.80

Those two i found good for my 8600gt

Guest Hgghg4

I am having a similar Problem with my 8600m GT, its a laptop model that according to the given models supported is not. It is a Laptop Card and sadly does not have the Shader 3.0 Ability in which I need to play Assassin's Creed. If you have any drivers that you have found which give the card this ability then please contact me at:

devilsadvocatehg@yahoo.com

8600GT does have shader 3

I have played assassins creed with my 8600gt. every driver i have tried works. Plus you can turn shader 2.0 or 3.0, off/ on in display settings. I used to play with shader 3 enabled.. so that can't be the issue.

Edited by wook

Guest hgghg4
8600GT does have shader 3

I have played assassins creed with my 8600gt. every driver i have tried works. Plus you can turn shader 2.0 or 3.0, off/ on in display settings. I used to play with shader 3 enabled.. so that can't be the issue.

Not the 8600m GT model... if it did have it i would already have it because I have the latest drivers for this card. Are you on a desktop?

Guest hgghg4
Not the 8600m GT model... if it did have it i would already have it because I have the latest drivers for this card. Are you on a desktop?

Ok you do have the M model... where did you get your drivers... i read your little profile thing on the side.

Guest hgghg4

these are my spec's at a bare minimum

3 Gig DDR2

Intel Centrino Duo 2.4 GHz

320 Gigs Hard Drive Space only 78 Gigs Used

8600M GT 256mb GPU

Vista 32

link:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18049

download this 'driver', and the 'modified INF' file

double click driver, which will extract it to a folder called 174.74_vista

then copy the modified inf file to that folder. it will ask you if you want to replace the original file, say 'YES'

then u can run set up... should be fine after that.

Guest hgghg4
link:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18049

download this 'driver', and the 'modified INF' file

double click driver, which will extract it to a folder called 174.74_vista

then copy the modified inf file to that folder. it will ask you if you want to replace the original file, say 'YES'

then u can run set up... should be fine after that.

One more question pertaining to Assassin's Creed

I get through the intro and then it says. "Assassin's Creed has stopped working."

The people at Ubisoft said it was because I didn't have the Shader Drivers installed. I figured while I was getting the drivers I would ask if you had this problem as well.

nar.. i think they are telling pork pies.. when i installed it for the first time, both shader 2.0 and 3.0 were off by default. so it doesnt use them to initialise the game.

never had that problem. I have had the game crash before.. but only about 4 times in total.

if this does not work, then check vista updates.. there are a few hotfix's that resolve some gaming issues.

in about 20 mins I wont be able to reply till tomorrow.. good luck

well... im guessing the driver. what version are you running currently?

Assassins creed is pretty new, so only newer drivers will resolve some issues. Although.. even running 156.83 (as i am doing now) I was able to run the game. just very bad frame rates.

Edited by wook

Guest hgghg4
if this does not work, then check vista updates.. there are a few hotfix's that resolve some gaming issues.

in about 20 mins I wont be able to reply till tomorrow.. good luck

It worked... thanks Friend

awesome! enjoy :)

Edited by wook

Just a little clear-up:

all Geforce 8 (including M(obile)) are DX 10 and have Shader Model 4 (which of course includes all prev shader models)

Shader 3 is available since the Geforce 6 Models (including Go-Versions)

PS You can always find the infos on Wikipedia

I use 177.xx on my 8600m GT and it does fine. The performance is better than with older versions, and overclocking is supported.

• 3 weeks later...

You should still be able to use the latest 177.66 drivers.