LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8400m gs overclocking

cyclone93

i have an 8400m gs and i need help with overclocking. i have no idea how to use rivatuner, my driver version is 169.09 and im not sure if that supports overclocking. ive used riva tuner before with other non-tested drivers but it wouldnt overclock, ill be using this to get better performance in games such as crysis and cod4. also, does overclocking raise my vista experience index score

ty : :)

Guest Mümmel

Hi,

i don't have the 8400M, but the 9300M G, but this is nearly the same. My Card was locked by BIOS, so i overclocked it using a BIOS Editor. I overclocked from 400/800/400 to 600/1200/500 without any problem, max temp is 74C° (It's a 12' Notebook! :) ). Runs perfectly stable, cool and quite fast :)

Greets,

Mümmel

Hi,

i don't have the 8400M, but the 9300M G, but this is nearly the same. My Card was locked by BIOS, so i overclocked it using a BIOS Editor. I overclocked from 400/800/400 to 600/1200/500 without any problem, max temp is 74C° (It's a 12' Notebook! :) ). Runs perfectly stable, cool and quite fast :)

Greets,

Mümmel

hey mummel,

yeh i used ati tool to check out the max clocks, i think if i overclock it to 600/1200/600 it be pushing it a bit far and cause it to reach 80c and make my laptop crash (tried it in crysis, not gonna do it again) i overclocked to 550/550 and it was alright but not the performance i want though, especially since im running vista

urs is pretty good for a 12" laptop, mins 17" lol and still overheated once, i think its coz of my amd turion processor ( thos can get hot pretty fast i heard)

ty nywayz

Guest THANH DAT

hi everybody ,careful when overclocking your graphic card. all the new series nvidia gpu of laptop have high temperature,using with high temperature during along time will damage your gpu ( gpu's pins will not get in touch with mother board)

my laptop has been damaged when play game with core 500/600( 8400m gs 128mb DDR3),and i have to make new gpu's pins then soldred gpu on motherboard again :) ,and now it's fine ( sorry about my english is so bad)

hi everybody ,careful when overclocking your graphic card. all the new series nvidia gpu of laptop have high temperature,using with high temperature during along time will damage your gpu ( gpu's pins will not get in touch with mother board)

my laptop has been damaged when play game with core 500/600( 8400m gs 128mb DDR3),and i have to make new gpu's pins then soldred gpu on motherboard again :) ,and now it's fine ( sorry about my english is so bad)

i have 8400m gs ddr2 and the average temp is about 70c when i overclock it hits up to 80c

This only on GPU's that are soldered directly onto the mobo.

My GPU hits 96c when overclocked; and has been doing so for over 6 months without missing a beat.

yeh but 8600m gt runs faster than 8400m gs and 96c is dangerously close to the boiling mark lol

100c = steam on ur laptop screen XD

yeh but 8600m gt runs faster than 8400m gs and 96c is dangerously close to the boiling mark lol

100c = steam on ur laptop screen XD

Nahh, had the baby running 106c a couple of times in the past.

let me tell you now, during this time, my heatsink becomes a WEAPON.

lol you can hear a plane flying under your laptop?

lol you can hear a plane flying under your laptop?

It's not a plane, it's a small Ball Bearing turbo..

if i take the cover off and turn it upside down, my 300+w of sub cannot drown out the awesome noise of burning metal.

wow, im surprised your laptop doesnt melt, have you cantacted the manufacterur about this, it doesnt seem very healthy for your laptop

wow, im surprised your laptop doesnt melt, have you cantacted the manufacterur about this, it doesnt seem very healthy for your laptop

Yeah, Asus know.

I really don't think they care, and because they put the disclaimer on the first page of the manual ''Warning: Do NOT place notebook on legs/lap for extended periods of time''

The Fan is REALLY loud, but runs on a simple 5v...so i'm thinking of installing a new 12v one and steal some power from the Mini-PCIE slot underneath.

I'm also thinking about an extended Heatsink (IE; bigger one attached to internal one on outside of laptop when not mobile)

Oh, and my laptop doesn't melt because it is built too well.

seriously, i can practically throw it at someone, pick it back up off their (severely burnt) face, and play Crysis straight away.

lol my lappy overheated once whenh i was playing warrock (counter strike source graphics more or less) , well i was playing it on my bed so it was expected and after i felt underneath the fan it nearly burnt my hand!

I have Hp pavilion dv6560el and 8400m GS 128mb ddr2.

my default clock is: 400/400/800 max temp 72 °C

i OC at: 600/514/1200 max temp 80°C

To OC you card use 169.04 driver or modding bios. you can find guide over here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=233405

now i'm have 177.41 driver and i play to mass effect with every detail to the max possible :) everything all right :) :P :P :rofl:

bye

now i'm have 177.41 driver and i play to mass effect with every detail to the max possible :)

Yeah, that's really not all that hard on 1280x800 :)