LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Counter Strike Source on M1710

Guest MoMa

Guest MoMa

Hello there Nvision - I had been on to you all a year or so back when I had problems with my Dell 5210 laptop - you gave me good advice, now that I've invested in the XPS M1710, could I possibly bend your ear then for some more good advice?

XPS M1710

GTX 7950

2 Gig ram

Ive been getting back into playing CSS - however I seem to be suffering 'mouse lag'?? Basically Im playing away fps is 40-60 then I move around and from time to time even though the mouse moves the screen stalls for a moment down to 15fps or there abouts.

I've a 3mg + line connected by USB.

I have updated everything.

I have reduced resolution etc. to med/ low.

Ive tried several drivers - been using 167.45.

i cannot for the life of me work out why I get any lag considering that this laptop should have no problems in a game like CSS.

I also got this type of Lag playing COD4 on medium settings - i thought the 7950 GTX could handle these games.

I dont know mcuh aobut overclocking or how to do advanced settings unfortunately.

Could you recommend then if there is a driver & an 'inf' file I should use so as these games run smoothly without this 'mouse lag' happening?

Thanks in Advance.

MoMa.

I am not sure this will fix your problem, but look for the line "lvds_reduce_frequency" in the INF and change its value from 1 to 0. This fixed a similar problem I had a long time ago.

Guest MoMa
I am not sure this will fix your problem, but look for the line "lvds_reduce_frequency" in the INF and change its value from 1 to 0. This fixed a similar problem I had a long time ago.

Could you give me some detail as to how to access the INF file to change that?

I'm not the most computer savvy.

Thanks,

MoMa.

Just open up the modded INF by double-clicking it. It will open in MS notepad. Then go to the "edit" menu and click "find." In this box, type "lvds" and you will be taken right to the entry I am thinking about. Near to the right of this line, there will be a "1" as the value. Simply change it to a "0," save the text file, and reinstall the driver.

Guest MoMa

Hi Michael - thank you for your responses so far.

I looked in the folder and i could not see an INF file to modify.

Can I ask - is this driver version 167.45 the best driver I should be using? i was thinking that maybe there could be a better one - and if i go to install it then I could possibly change the line as you mentioned previously.

thank you for your patience.

MoMa.

I would recommend using the 177.41 driver. When you download the driver, you should also download the Modded INF. In this file, you will find the line I was talking about.

Guest MoMa

Hi Michael - I tried out that driver with inf & then tried 158 with inf - still the same thing going on. I also changed that line you said.

Any suggestions?

I cannot work out how my laptop could have any problems with CSS - i am on Vista 32 home.

Thanks,

MoMa.

Guest MoMa

OK -now I've tried installing the 177.41 with inf and it dosent work... dont know why - I cleared out the old drivers etc. the setup runs fine - the components are installed and when it gets to finished screen it says the system has not been modified.

Any ideas as to why?

I will now try another driver - but its starting to feel like a needle in the haystack search for what is the 'best' one for my system.

MoMa.

^^Are you sure the file was downloaded properly(177.41)? I'm out of suggestions and that was the only thing I could think of.

If alive&deads suggestions does not work... sadly you might have to try a clean restart. Format hard drive (after making a partition and saving all work etc) and install windows again. Then try this 177.** driver.

try driver version 169.09 they worked for me

Guest MoMa
^^Are you sure the file was downloaded properly(177.41)? I'm out of suggestions and that was the only thing I could think of.

Hi guys -

Finally got the driver 177 working -so that was fine - but I am still having this 'mouse lag' problem in CSS.

I am eluded to why there should be any problem. In CSS I changed the video settings to all the ones with stars beside as recommended for my system. When I played the game there was some terrible shake on screen when i moved.

Cyclone: Do you use that driver on an xps m1710?

TBH I 'd like to get to the bottom of this problem and be a little more clear as to what could be causing this problem - so then i can take the necessary steps if necessary, such as re-installing vistaD - but thats someting i really dont want to have to do, very much a last resort.

Anyone think of any other reasons or solutions?

Thank you - your help is all appreciated.

MoMa.

^^besides the mouse problem what is your framerate like?

Hi guys -

Finally got the driver 177 working -so that was fine - but I am still having this 'mouse lag' problem in CSS.

I am eluded to why there should be any problem. In CSS I changed the video settings to all the ones with stars beside as recommended for my system. When I played the game there was some terrible shake on screen when i moved.

Cyclone: Do you use that driver on an xps m1710?

TBH I 'd like to get to the bottom of this problem and be a little more clear as to what could be causing this problem - so then i can take the necessary steps if necessary, such as re-installing vistaD - but thats someting i really dont want to have to do, very much a last resort.

Anyone think of any other reasons or solutions?

Thank you - your help is all appreciated.

MoMa.

well i do not have a xps m1710 so i dont lol XD

try turning off smooth out mouse that often makes your mouse look laggy

try setting all settings to low and low res see if that improves

wow all these problems with games on laptops, am i the one of the few ppl that has never experienced a games problem on my laptops?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lads & Andrew55 - my frame rate is clocking 65fps to 15 fps when I get the lag.

I turned off mouse smoothing but to no effect.

I played DOD source & Team fortress 2 and all have the same problem - it must be something to do with Steam games because playing BF2 & BF2142 I have no problems -

Any other suggestions that could be thrown into the pot?

Thanks in advance -

MoMa.

Hi Lads & Andrew55 - my frame rate is clocking 65fps to 15 fps when I get the lag.

I turned off mouse smoothing but to no effect.

I played DOD source & Team fortress 2 and all have the same problem - it must be something to do with Steam games because playing BF2 & BF2142 I have no problems -

Any other suggestions that could be thrown into the pot?

Thanks in advance -

MoMa.

ps - I forgot to mention: I turned down the res etc and that had no effect either. :)