LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Summarize 1667 MXM upgrade

xenomeno

From all the topic I've read here it supports x1800, x1900 for sure.

Someone mentioned something about 8600. Is it true and what of the DX10 type cards can it support.

And finally where any of them can be purchased and what's the price?

Cheers,

Danko

Edited by xenomeno

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xenomeno

• dexx

• lozdawney

I've risked and buyed Acer's 8600 GT with 512mb. It works just fine. The installation was fast and smooth. There are some problems with finding the proper drivers. Some older versions are properly recognizing the video but score 300-500 3d Mark 2006 points lesser. The newer ones like 177.66 which I'm currently stick to are improperly recognizing the video as 9500GS but they score higher like 3400+ 3D Mark 2006 points. Also the notebook stays cooler with the new video.

As the CPU is just single core Turion64@2Ghz it scores around 700 points which on dual core I've seen on MSI with 8600GT with 256mb is around 1500. So if it's changed the score may go beyond the 4000+ border :)

Guest bodycount

Hi, I buyed a mxm-upgrade card -8600 GT - but it does not work!!! I got the same system like you! What bios version do you have??? I got the uniwill 1.06c!!! Maybe the card is out of order??? I cant't get in contact with ice-tea!! He's on holiday/duty until 20 August!!! Please help!

Guest bodycount

It's me again. My current system is an Amilo A1667G with an AMD MT-37 and 2 GHz, 2 GB MDT 400 DDR and a geforce 7600 go with 256 MB DDR2 with a standard 120 W power supply. The current bios version is the 1.06c of Fujitsu-Siemens/Uniwill.

I still got some skills concerning the upgrade procedure but I don't know why this 8600 GT won't work! All I can see is a white display, the system tries to boot, the fan works but nothing else! Do I have to do a "blind flash" with an Acer bios?On the one hand the the DDR2 could be damaged but I can't explain why because I tried to avoid any kind of ESD!!!! For me it's not clear, because IceTea checks every card before he delivers it out!!! On the other hand it could maybe be a problem with the MXM connector!

Does someone have any idea about it? Many thanks in advance and greatings from Germany!

Guest Guest
Hi, I buyed a mxm-upgrade card -8600 GT - but it does not work!!! I got the same system like you! What bios version do you have??? I got the uniwill 1.06c!!! Maybe the card is out of order??? I cant't get in contact with ice-tea!! He's on holiday/duty until 20 August!!! Please help!

I'm with the same BIOS I think(maybe 1.07 - the latest on Uniwill's website). The BIOS actually does not matter. My video is Acer brand. If you have an Asus VBIOS or something else maybe that's the problem.

Ice-tea e-mailed me these days. They are on vacation till 20th of July not August(typo error).

You can try to flash the VBIOS to Acer's one on blind. There's some post in the forums here.

Actually I've just checked and my BIOS is 1.07 from Uniwill's website.

Maybe the FS BIOS 1.06 can't work with your VBIOS. You can try to flash it first with USB Stick because it's easier. It fixes some bugs and also it unlocks the SATA support/detection which I can't use actually because I have only IDE port and can't find SATA conversion board. Uniwill told me that I need it but they are not willing to send it and told me to contact FS. FS are always explaining that the 1667 can't support SATA!!! Is your ATA or SATA? Otherwise I'm with Turion64 @ 2GHz too and 2GB DDR400. How you managed to use DDR2 the motherboard does not support it?!?

If flasging to 1.07 does not help maybe the last option is to flash the VBIOS with Acer one. What VBIOS you currently have?

Guest bodycount

Oh sorry, I meant that I use 2GB DDR Ram from MDT!! Where did you get the uniwill bios 1.07c??? I tried to flash my system with the uniwill data but it didn't work! Maybe there is another link for a windows flash???I think it'll work via USB flash but I need a better link! Currently I also use a 80 GB IDE/ATA harddisk. Maybe I change this. On the german Amilo-forum (www.amilo-forum.de) I read something that SATA should work - with a kind of adapter and the 1.06c bios version - but I don't remeber that exactly!

The vbios is a little tricky! I don't know the version because I could not check the card! I think it's a Acer one because IceTea told me that he does not sell Asus cards! The card itself is described in taiwanese language or something like that! So it's diffucult to google and check it out! Maybe IceTea knows the anser but I also got an email from him (auto response) that he'll be back on 20 August! But maybe you're right. I'm going to send him another email tomorrow!

Oh sorry, I meant that I use 2GB DDR Ram from MDT!! Where did you get the uniwill bios 1.07c??? I tried to flash my system with the uniwill data but it didn't work! Maybe there is another link for a windows flash???I think it'll work via USB flash but I need a better link! Currently I also use a 80 GB IDE/ATA harddisk. Maybe I change this. On the german Amilo-forum (www.amilo-forum.de) I read something that SATA should work - with a kind of adapter and the 1.06c bios version - but I don't remeber that exactly!

The vbios is a little tricky! I don't know the version because I could not check the card! I think it's a Acer one because IceTea told me that he does not sell Asus cards! The card itself is described in taiwanese language or something like that! So it's diffucult to google and check it out! Maybe IceTea knows the anser but I also got an email from him (auto response) that he'll be back on 20 August! But maybe you're right. I'm going to send him another email tomorrow!

http://www.uniwill.com/UserDownload/P50CA/P50CA.php

I think I've downloaded from here year or two ago but now the link is not availble(text control only). I don't know why they removed it. Here's another link I've googled:

http://www.findmysoft.com/drivers/download...ios-driver.html

If it's Acer as mine it should work if you flash to that BIOS. For me it works just great.

I've searched some time ago on that German forum and noticed about upgrading to SATA but since I don't understand German I couldn't extract info at all. Could you enlight the problem for how exactly a SATA HDD is put inside the 1667? I'm currently with my original 100GB ATA HDD Fujitsu Siemens which is at 4200rpm and it's awfully slow :)

Edited by xenomeno

Guest bodycount

Hi again, thanks for the link. I'm going to try this tomorrow!

There was a link to the uniwill homepage => http://uniwill.com/products/performance ... p?HL=2&P=1! They refered to a so called (Fujitsu) "HDD TRANS BD ASSY SATA" . This should be the description of this special adapter! But I think it'll only allow to install SATA HDDs but I don't know exactly if this will support full SATA speed. Your a1667g's mainboard should have a white SATA connector - next to the normal IDE cable! I got this connector on my motherboard! If my 8600gt will work I'm going to try this, because I also got a very slow hdd (4200 rpm)!

Guest bodycount

Hi again,

I joined the german Amilo forum again and there are still some users with SATA systems!!! They bought a "2nd HDD Kit" for the Amilo A3667G system which is exacllty the same mainboard as the a1667g! The kid includes this adapter for the white hdd connector! Maybe you'll check this out!

I flashed my system to the 1.07c bios and the geforce 8600 gt does also not work! The same procedure as mentioned above! The bios works just fine with the very old ati x700 and the geforce 7600go as well! I think the card I bought is damaged! Maybe one of NVidea's series with the gpu problem named in the newspapers! So I'll have to wait until 20 August. Maybe IceTea knows another solution or I have to change the card!

Does anybody sell a ati hd2600/... or geforce 8600/9600 series???

Hmm, there's definetly something with the video then. The only step left is to flash the VBIOS to Acer's one ..

Ice-tea said to me that the vacation is not to 20th of August but to 20th of July and that was a type error in the auto-mail responder. So I think he's back.

There are some 8600 on eBay. I bought my from there and I can give you the link of the store if you want and can't wait for Ice-tea. It's a little bit strange since the old drivers are reporting it correctly as 8600GT but the newer are saying it's 9500GS but it works just fine:)

Where such "2nd HDD Kit" can be found to buy? And why's this strange name 2nd? I'll check mine for the SATA connector next to the IDE one.

Hi again,

I joined the german Amilo forum again and there are still some users with SATA systems!!! They bought a "2nd HDD Kit" for the Amilo A3667G system which is exacllty the same mainboard as the a1667g! The kid includes this adapter for the white hdd connector! Maybe you'll check this out!

I flashed my system to the 1.07c bios and the geforce 8600 gt does also not work! The same procedure as mentioned above! The bios works just fine with the very old ati x700 and the geforce 7600go as well! I think the card I bought is damaged! Maybe one of NVidea's series with the gpu problem named in the newspapers! So I'll have to wait until 20 August. Maybe IceTea knows another solution or I have to change the card!

Does anybody sell a ati hd2600/... or geforce 8600/9600 series???

Guest bodycount

Where such "2nd HDD Kit" can be found to buy? And why's this strange name 2nd? I'll check mine for the SATA connector next to the IDE one.

They bought it from RTS or BITRONIC. Both are the German Fujitsu-Siemens retailer I think! But some said they got this on Eb..y! It's because of the fact that the system could run with two hdd's! That's why the sell it under this name!

So got in contact with IceTea? That's nice. I sent him two mails but I think he'll answer or I'll have to contact him later!

They bought it from RTS or BITRONIC. Both are the German Fujitsu-Siemens retailer I think! But some said they got this on Eb..y! It's because of the fact that the system could run with two hdd's! That's why the sell it under this name!

So got in contact with IceTea? That's nice. I sent him two mails but I thinkt he'll answer or I'll have to contact him later!

Could you post a link to that part of these retailers. I'll try to order one such kit if they deliver to Bulgaria. I couldn't find it on eBay. I have an SATA HDD @ 7200rpm which I'm currently using via USB because I'cant install it. I guess the other Amilo can run with 2 HDDs, 1667 does not have space for 2.

10x

P.S. any success with the 8600 ?

Guest bodycount

Hi again!

Have you ever checked your mainboard again, does it have this white cable/connector? If yes you should be able to order a hdd kit for an Amilo Xi1526 or XA1526 via RTS or Bitronic! That's a little "trick" because they don't sell these kits officially for A1667g/A3667g types! I guess there is a button to switch into English! So that shouldn't be a problem to order- I hope!

Article no:

2nd HDD frame: 84002353 (UWL83GUJ0503-10)

Cable SATA: 84001920 (UWL80GBP7200-A0).

This will include screws!

The 8600 gt problem: Yesterday Kris/IceTea told about some solutions and today I sent it back to him so that he could check it again for me! I hope that the card does not work to get a replacement! Otherwise I'll/we'll have to search for other solutions!

Good luck for your order!

Guest bodycount

Hi again!

Have you ever checked your mainboard again, does it have this white cable/connector? If yes you should be able to order a hdd kit for an Amilo Xi1526 or XA1526 via RTS or Bitronic! That's a little "trick" because they don't sell these kits officially for A1667g/A3667g types! I guess there is a button to switch into English! So that shouldn't be a problem to order- I hope!

Article no:

2nd HDD frame: 84002353 (UWL83GUJ0503-10)

Cable SATA: 84001920 (UWL80GBP7200-A0).

This will include screws!

The 8600 gt problem: Yesterday Kris/IceTea told about some solutions and today I sent it back to him so that he could check it again for me! I hope that the card does not work to get a replacement! Otherwise I'll/we'll have to search for other solutions!

Good luck for your order!

Guest bodycount

It's me again.

A few minutes ago I read something concerning our hdd problem on the german amilo-forum and some freaks meant it would work but it would have been too expensive to buy the adapter and a suitable SATA hdd! So they recommended a fast PATA/IDE hdd like the 7k100 from Hitachi or a Seagate Momentus ST910021A 100GB (P)ATA with 7200rpm! If you really want to install 2 hdd's you should buy the above mentioned "2nd hdd kit". Otherwise you can buy a faster IDE/PATA disk! I think he's right because of the reason that we don't know if the full SATA speed will be supported via this adapter! And Uniwill does not sell this one for Fujitsu systems!

Guest Guest
Hi again,

Did you try the hdd upgrade yet? Any experience?

well, I've got that "conversion board"(pcb board). But I can't find where to install it because I don't see the the SATA plug and there's only IDE one. Where exactly did you find it in your laptop?

If you leave an email I can send pictures of the board and the cable with it.

Guest Guest
well, I've got that "conversion board"(pcb board). But I can't find where to install it because I don't see the the SATA plug and there's only IDE one. Where exactly did you find it in your laptop?

If you leave an email I can send pictures of the board and the cable with it.

As a matter of fact, I've found the connector, it is located under the big lid, not close to the hdd as one would expect. I've connected it, but the problem is that the SATA hdd is not discovered by the bios, however when windows boots, the drive is there, and is usable. Is there some info if a SATA HDD is only usable as a second drive, or it can be set up as main in order to work itself as in the 1667g there is no room for 2 hdd.

Guest bodycount

Hi.

There still exist a link which shows exactly the same situation compared to my mainboard: http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9753/img1069small7ha.jpg

There you can see the standard IDE/P-ATA/U-ATA connector and the white SATA connetor behind it!!! If it's the same for you you should be able to upgrade to SATA!

Therefore you necessarily need the following parts from RTS or Bitronic:

s-ATA Adapter

> 88035847 UWL:80-BP7100-A0 HDD BOARD (SATA) REV.A and

> 88035932 UWL:29-UJ0087-00 HDD CABLE (SATA)

maybe a 2nd HDD-Frame

> 88035914 UWL:83-UJ0503-10 BRACKET ASSEMBLY 2ND HDD and screws!

Guest bodycount

"As a matter of fact, I've found the connector, it is located under the big lid, not close to the hdd as one would expect. I've connected it, but the problem is that the SATA hdd is not discovered by the bios, however when windows boots, the drive is there, and is usable. Is there some info if a SATA HDD is only usable as a second drive, or it can be set up as main in order to work itself as in the 1667g there is no room for 2 hdd."

I think it'll be the Bios version!!! You got 1.07c installed, right? If not you should do that! Otherwise I don't know whatelse it could be for this moment! I'll get in contact with someone who did it before and then I'll tell you!

Guest bodycount

"As a matter of fact, I've found the connector, it is located under the big lid, not close to the hdd as one would expect. I've connected it, but the problem is that the SATA hdd is not discovered by the bios, however when windows boots, the drive is there, and is usable. Is there some info if a SATA HDD is only usable as a second drive, or it can be set up as main in order to work itself as in the 1667g there is no room for 2 hdd."

I think it'll be the Bios version!!! You got 1.07c installed, right? If not you should do that! Otherwise I don't know whatelse it could be for this moment! I'll get in contact with someone who did it before and then I'll tell you!

http://stemo.bg/jsp/bg.do?a=cHJvZHVjdC1GVU...DA2MzAxMTE4MTky

Here's what I've found here in Bulgaria. After 3 years :)

So finally, I've installed the SATA drive. The SATA connector is not behind the IDE connector. Its actually in the other slot behind the wireless adapter. There's a small white connector which is not a SATA actully. I plug the cable there(which comes with the conversion board). And after that I plugged the SATA board in the HDD itself. There's only one tiny problem. The cable goes the other way so I had to twist it twice and push it under above the wireless adapter and beneath the plastic panel of the notebook(the piece of the bottom that is left when you remove the HDD slot and the slot which opens the GPU and the CPU with the headpad). After that the HDD is placed with its original HDD frame in its place but the area of the bottom the notebook becomes bumpy and one of the pins of the HDD slot goes out of its place even when both the screws are tight enough. However its not a big deal and the laptop can be used normally.

Maybe the IDE connector cane be removed and then the HDD along with the extend SATA board will fit perfectly in its place but the screws are facing inside the notebook not outside so I can't unscrew them. I tried to remove all the screws from everywhere(even from the battery) so I can pull out the whole motherboard to be able to remove the IDE board but it's not so easy. I think I'm not be able to close the notebook normally after that operation. So I left it that way it does not bother me at all. If you have expirience about extracting the motherboard from the inside please share I might try again :)

That little thing behind the IDE connector is not SATA connector(as far as I can see). Maybe if the IDE connector is removed it may be revealed but that would be evil.

Finally there's some signifiicant boost with the new HDD. I'm using Seagate @ 7200rpm 100GB. There some optimization in the control panel of the VISTA about the HDD which when not turned on the HDD scores the same as the original FS @ 4200 !?!?. Actually there were some spikes in the graph from HD Tune which seemed even worse then the slower one. When I turned it on it all went good with about 35mb/s and 92mb/s burst rate. Tonight I can upload the images from HD tune for both scenarios for the two HDDs.

P.S. any success with the video? :P

Hi.

There still exist a link which shows exactly the same situation compared to my mainboard: http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9753/img1069small7ha.jpg

There you can see the standard IDE/P-ATA/U-ATA connector and the white SATA connetor behind it!!! If it's the same for you you should be able to upgrade to SATA!

Therefore you necessarily need the following parts from RTS or Bitronic:

s-ATA Adapter

> 88035847 UWL:80-BP7100-A0 HDD BOARD (SATA) REV.A and

> 88035932 UWL:29-UJ0087-00 HDD CABLE (SATA)

maybe a 2nd HDD-Frame

> 88035914 UWL:83-UJ0503-10 BRACKET ASSEMBLY 2ND HDD and screws!

Guest bodycount

So the Seagate hdd thing sounds very good! I remember some guys who had been removing their mainboard completely and I think also the IDE connector but firstly I think the white SATA connector must be seen! Maybe it's under your IDE connector! It seems that the connectr is being soldered on the board or there is a kind of "tricky" clicking mechanism!

I also think of buying the Seagate hdd!

My VGA has beem arrived at Kris' store! So he's going to check it this week! I heared from other guys which do exactly have the same problems that I have - with the !6800! Series. I don't know why. Maybe there are some different types of A1667G models?! I don't know, but what I know for sure is the fact that some A1667g model don't have any problems with MXM-cards and other do have them! It's mystery. :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...447#post3721447

Here are some benchmarks I've just posted.

Well, there is some white thingy behind the IDE connector. You think it's a SATA connector in which the IDE one is just plugged. Some time ago I was thinking about that. Recently too especially while I was doing that crap with putting the cable above the wireless adapter, under the border of the laptop bottom, twisting it twice blah blah blah. But still I'm not sure if I'll be able to close it properly if I open it all to extract the motherbard. It seems there's something more about just removing the screws. Do you have some pictures of these gyus extracting the main board?