LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help with Dell and 8600m GT

rufio90

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500, and got a 8600m GT in hope that I could run Oblivion at it's max settings. I read that I can't put a different video card model in it, but could I put the 512 GDDR3 version of the 8600m GT in it? (I have the 256 DDR2) I'd be replacing an 8600 with an 8600, so I figured it might be possible. Thanks for the help. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Edited by rufio90

No :)

Guest Bartju93

You cannot replace the card, but there is an option to add memory from your DDR2 ram to the card. I have also a Vostro 1500 with a 8600M GT. I've done a memory upgrade to 4GB DDR2 667Mhz. Now I can use 1,7 GB for my 8600M GT instead of 256 MB. Hope this helped you.

(sorry for my bad English, I'm from Holland).

Well, shoot. Thanks for the help. I was also considering adding some system ram. Also, your English was much better than some that of some Americans I know :)

It's TurboCache feature and doesn't increase the FPS.

It's strange because when I play Oblivion, the amount of jumping is the same whether the graphics are set on max or minimum, so who knows? I didn't know if the ram would help even if it didn't help the graphics card much. I looked at the performace tab under task manager and it said I was using all of my ram, so I thought maybe it'd help.