LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with GeForce Go 7900 GS, Dell Inspiron E1705

Guest KGhost

Guest KGhost

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 with a GeForce Go 7900 GS and it currently uses Vista and driver version 167.45. Right now, I'm having a huge problem. Whenever I don't use a large fan on my computer or whenever I run graphic intensive games or programs, like Age of Empires 3 (in medium settings), Google Earth, or Windows Media Center (watching live TV), I get a blue screen with the message Memory Parity Error. Whenever the computer is warm, I get horizontal random lines and eventually the blue screen (if not cooled down enough). In some occasions, when I start booting up my laptop, random colored pixels show up until Vista finishes loading. These random pixels sometimes show up when running Vista on safe mode.

This has been happening for the past year (though not that severe), but it has gotten worse in the last several months and weeks. I've tried using other drivers, but that doesn't fix the problem. I've tried blowing the dust out of my laptop in several occasions, but this is eventually not working. I tried to get Dell to replace my graphics card, but they won't listen, so I'm considering replacing it myself.

Does anyone have any way to fix this problem without replacing the graphics card or downgrading Windows?

It sounds to me like a hardware problem. I would think the only way to fix it would be to replace the graphics card.

Those are classic signs of a shot GPU. Don't expect much from Dell as I have come to learn with my past laptops (even then customer service was better than it is today). If you would like to replace it yourself then by all means do so.

if it is still under warantee then Dell has an obligation to replace it. (check to see the legal standings on your policy),

then tell them you are seeking legal advice.

I am in the same boat. I have an XPS and has been running very hot.. then shutting down rendomly.. Dell kept running me round in circles until I stated exactly what my rights were in the warantee that came with my system...

Must be a policy with Dell to take as much time as possible, hoping you will give up.

Keep ringing them!

Wook is right. Don't let them send you to Dell-hell.

Wook is right. Don't let them send you to Dell-hell.

Agreed. Keep up the pressure. They're bound to give up at some point!