LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m GS Vista Black Screen

TC Ozman

Hey everyone im having a problem with my nvidia 8600m GS graphics card and Vista. Keep in mind that i previously had XP installed and the XP 169.09 drivers from here worked great (i was playing ut3 crysis COD4, and AA). But when i did an upgrade from vista and i install the vista 169.09 drivers i get a black screen on boot, with windows vista login sound. Now to keep from receiving answer that ive already tried heres what ive done already.

Ive installed xp with NO drivers installed AT ALL and upgrades from the to Vista 32 Ultimate. I then disabled UAC and then installed the 169.09 Vista drivers. On restart i get the black screen with vista sound and nothing else.

Can someone PLEASE help me im desperate right now because i have had no success with Vista drivers and i really dont like that fact that i cant get it to work (downgrading to XP would really bother me because thats just ignoring the problem and not fixing it).

interesting... i UPGRADED from vista to XP pro SP3 haha!

Anyway.. try 174.74 or 175.80 drivers from this site.. (in the community forum/ also read the FAQ for installation help) they will give you better performance, and also will more than likely fix the black screen you are experiencing.

interesting... i UPGRADED from vista to XP pro SP3 haha!

Anyway.. try 174.74 or 175.80 drivers from this site.. (in the community forum/ also read the FAQ for installation help) they will give you better performance, and also will more than likely fix the black screen you are experiencing.

LOL yeah.....if i do have vista im gonna keep my XP SP3 anyways (i didnt mention that i removed vista and went back to XP in the meantime). Ill give the 174.74 drivers a try i really hope it works because id love to see how much better Crysis looks in DX 10. Ill let you know what happens in a few hours (i have a lot of downtime at work because its the summer lol)

Edited by TC Ozman

try enabling UAC i had a problem when i disabled that aswell, now i just leave it

try enabling UAC i had a problem when i disabled that aswell, now i just leave it

Thanks Cyclone ill definitely do that. Honestly ive tried both ways with the drivers i have downloaded previously, with uac without UAC. Hopefully the drivers that im going to use now are going to be the fix. However there is a problem with bitlocker in a general sense with Vista and the drivers here. Which is in NO FAULT AT ALL to laptopvideo2go thats all microsofts fault.

Thanks Cyclone ill definitely do that. Honestly ive tried both ways with the drivers i have downloaded previously, with uac without UAC. Hopefully the drivers that im going to use now are going to be the fix. However there is a problem with bitlocker in a general sense with Vista and the drivers here. Which is in NO FAULT AT ALL to laptopvideo2go thats all microsofts fault.

ahh, bitlocker, i dont use that TBH i dont use any vista ultimate extras although dreamscene looks quite good

Well guys i installed the 174 vista drivers and it was a no go....still get the black screen. Any other suggestions before i give up?

Edited by TC Ozman

• 3 weeks later...

Alright im gonna try and start this convo back up... i got a clean install copy of vista and a separate hard drive to mess with this so i dont have to worry about xp. But anyway the clean install and driver installation did not work i STILL get a black screen with sound. ANY suggestions are welcome at this point im getting really frustrated.

• 1 month later...
Alright im gonna try and start this convo back up... i got a clean install copy of vista and a separate hard drive to mess with this so i dont have to worry about xp. But anyway the clean install and driver installation did not work i STILL get a black screen with sound. ANY suggestions are welcome at this point im getting really frustrated.

I have this same problem, it just happened today, though I didn't install any new drivers, I just ran Windows Update. I'm running an Asus G1S, which has an nVidia 8600M.

Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm hoping it might help me out!

I have this same problem, it just happened today, though I didn't install any new drivers, I just ran Windows Update. I'm running an Asus G1S, which has an nVidia 8600M.

Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm hoping it might help me out!

sorry i didn't reply sooner (i rarely come here anymore because i have no time at all )

but what it sounds like is windows update either installed a new driver over the original driver that you had installed OR they may have changed something regarding WHQL uncertified drivers AGAIN so check through your updates history and see if there are any driver packs that were installed by windows update and uninstall them... by the way i have found only ONE driver from here that actually works with vista with my 8600mgs, which is very unstable when running Crysis, Halo 2, Gears of War, Orange Box, Call of Duty 4 and so on and so on (i have a lot of pc games)