LaptopVideo2Go Forums

x1800 upgrade - now problems

Wizhnu

Hello again!

After getting the NHC working, i gut other issues...

Using the laptop for everyday works is no problem. Watching movies and browsing around. But when starting to stress the GPU with games or 3D mark the system just shuts down.

Tried diffrent pastes (currently AS5 - both GPU and CPU)

Changing the fanspeed

Eelier today i was testing Q4, worked out great so i figured that the AS5 was the soultion. But no. And i cant seem to find any "new" mobility drivers?

Question?

Is the card damaged?

Hi,

I have an Alienware m5550 that had an 6600go and put in an 1800x and used alienware driver for it. I have also tried the omega drivers and they work fine with it also. I have had no heating issues at all and I am not using NHC. I have been playing cod4 with it.

Sounds like a heating issue with your laptop. Did you put new thermal pads?

What are your temps siting at?

Thanks

Thanks for replying!

Im using NHC to adjust the fan speed. Can it be done whitout? In NHC the temp is emulated to 87c to get the fan on high speed.

Gonna try with new drivers modded with mobility modder.

Im not using thermal pads cuz dealers in Sweden cant provide....So currently AS5 paste

arctic paste is better than the pads anyway.. stick with that..

Def. sounds like a heat issue.. im sure you have proped up the laptop so air can circulate as you sound like an end user..

drivers can help.. but pretty sure they wont in your instance. i am having the same issue.. getting new heat sink and fan to put in today/ tomorrow.

are you overclocking? if so crank it down.. if not, then you'll need to find a hardware solution.. maybe add more aluminium to the heat sink etc..

Okay

Gonna try and reinstall the comp, give it a fresh start.

Where does one find a new cooling for a old laptop? Might be very interesting if its not driver related, but heat.

And the laptop is high up, so it gets plenty of air.

MXM-upgrades NHC ACPI file i corrupt. Where can i find it els where? :)

[edit]

If somekind soul is reading, please email me the m3438 ACPI from MxM: krille_deman@hotmail.com

[edit]

Found Pirate85's ACPI and configured from that. New windows and drivers. Still same shut down during games. And it only takes a couple of seconds.

So whats left is to figure out how to cool it down more... im sure that the paste and the die has connection. Tripple checked after assembly. Would really like to hear some more bout your new cooler "wook". And sorry, didnt answer that one. No, im currently not overclocking the laptop.

[edit]

ok...im on the same page now...must be heat issues. I got a hole miunte(!!!) of Q4 playtime

[edit]

hmmm...this morning a could play for some minutes. So its for sure a heat problem. But is it due poor contact (die and cooler) or just not enough "umpf" in the original cooler.

[edit]

the cooler just dosent have enough "umpf" to handle the x1800 GPU. The alu gets really hot after 3-4min of game time. So i have connection between the die and cooler.

Now for the kicker. Getting a regular GPU cooler, modding it in. But how do i cool the cpu? Keep the standard cooler just for that?

[edit]

Awsome! The M3438G is now running the x1800 at default speeds. Cleared 3Dmark06 and 3Dmark05 whitout shut down.

Soultion:

- Random USB laptop cooler

- Cooper plate(0,5mm) between GPU and die. Apply AS5 on both GPU and Cooler Core

[edit]

bout 1 hour of playing now, all running fine and smooth

[edit]

still going strong, 4 hours of gaming and Winamp

Edited by Wizhnu

Guest Vanguard

Hi, The problem with m5550 is that there is to much clearance to just use thermal paste, thats why they stuck in the pads. You can get new pads in europe from MXMupgrade. If you dont want to do that than you can make your own with copper and thermal paste, just make sure it only touches where its supposed to or you will fry your computer.

Your temps will drop alot by using pads or copper heatsink with paste.

Thanks

Looks good. I'm surprised the x1800 gives such good gaming performance.

whats so bad about x1800?

ATI!! :)

ATI HD 4870>GEFORCE 9800 GX2 and its cheaper

Yeah, just I have always been an nvidia fanboy since my first ati 9000 radeon igp gave out on me within two months of heavy gaming.

my ati radeon x600 worked wonders for me by playing counter strike source when it first came out at a repectable 35 fps on high detail at a resolution of 1900x1200

My first computer back in '98 had an 8mb ati rage gpu. It still works as new.

aww man my ati rage gpu only had 4 mb memory, youd pwn me. my card couldnt even run opengl

I played cs on it. Never really did gaming on it though.

i played on counter strike 1.5 all the time, i pwned bots to bits