LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver problems with Quadro4 700 Go GL in i8200

StealthCamo

Hi everyone,

I originally was posting my driver issue-related questions under my first topic in the "NVIDIA GPU powered Laptops" section titled "Upgrading my I8200's video card to Quadro4 700 Go GL from M9000", but got little response, so I thought this section might be better for it. I've been having problems whenever I install any modified nVidia drivers on my Inspiron 8200, because after I would install them, it would reboot, go to the Windows loading screen and then show a black screen with what I know now is a scrunched picture of whatever is being displayed on screen at the moment (it has the appearance of a single solid multi-colored line going horizontally across the screen...it's not centered, it's closer to the bottom). The only success I had was after I installed the 84.21 drivers - it DID get past the loading screen and showed the desktop, and everything worked (games, videos, etc.). It's just that the next time I booted my computer it displayed the line again and no longer worked.

So I figured I'd try hooking up an external monitor to see if it would change anything, and strangely enough, it shows the desktop! I'm only able to see it on my external monitor, and my laptop screen still shows the corrupted picture the entire time I'm using it. Right now only the top row of pixels (1600x1 px) in the line display colors from the screen...the rest is gray for some reason. I've already tried taking a screenshot of it when the picture's only displayed on my laptop, but when I switched back to my external monitor and pasted the screen capture in Photoshop it showed the desktop as it should be, but at the resolution my laptop keeps reverting it back to: 1024x768. I'm assuming it just knocks it down to the second lowest resolution that my i8200 monitor supports when it switches over from my external monitor's native resolution of 1280x1024, since it's a different aspect ratio from 1600x1200. But the strange thing is that when I have it set to display on both my laptop screen and external monitor, it only offers 2 resolutions: 800x600 and 1024x768, which is strange. Anyway, I'd take a picture of the corrupted screen if I had a digital camera on hand, but I don't at the moment.

I was gonna say maybe my laptop's screen isn't supported by nVidia's ForceWare drivers, but that seems unlikely if the video card itself works with my computer and everyone else can use these drivers with their Quadro4 700's and have no problems. The driver versions I've tried are 71.20, 71.84, 81.98, 82.10 and 84.21 (with success only once). I'm currently using 82.10 with my external monitor because most people recommended it and from my experience, it seems to run Guild Wars better. Anyone experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions or ideas as to why it's not working?

Does no one have any idea why desktop nVidia drivers would be causing my laptop monitor to show a shrunk down, corrupted picture, but allow for an external monitor to display the picture instead?

FYI, I have tried Googling this problem, but cannot find anything related to what I'm experiencing. Could somebody please help me out?

Sorry, I really have no idea. But this problem may be due to your laptop monitor itself.

That's what I thought, but the thing is is that I can use the Dell nVidia drivers and have no problems with the monitor. That's why I tried so many driver versions and tried multiple times reinstalling them to make sure I did it correctly, but nothing worked except the one time using the 84.21 driver (it worked once but went back to having this same problem). I did see a similar topic in this forum about someone having monitor troubles, but they seemed to have no success whatsoever, whereas I can use Dell's drivers with no problems. I'm not using them though because I noticed a HUGE performance increase through these 82.10 drivers! :)

Edit: By the way, thanks for the reply! :)

Edited by StealthCamo

Again, i really don't know why that could be but obviously now it's due to the driver. I suggest trying some really new drivers and see if they work.

Okay, I suppose I could do that, but I thought at once point that nVidia discontinued their support of certain video cards, mine included, and that I wouldn't be able to use the absolute latest driver. I just tried the ones that people recommended and ones that John wrote INFs for in his topic. I haven't tried 95.97 though. I'll keep trying different things, and maybe even other modified INFs if all else fails.

That's true but at this point it's worth a shot. So go ahead, try it and post back results when done.

• 1 month later...

Okay, well I'm back after a 1 month+ hiatus, and am still having the same damn problem, even after I reformatted my hard drive and tried installing the nVidia desktop drivers as the FIRST display drivers on my I8200. I'm about ready to give up and say it's impossible, despite the few I8200 users on here who claim to have working modded drivers for their Quadro4's. I'm tempted to say it's my monitor, because I can still hear my computer boot up and know it's working because I've used an external monitor as a work around in the past. *sigh* I wonder if my monitor is the one that isn't compatible with the Quadro4...but the thing that doesn't make sense is that I'm able to still use the card, just only with Dell's drivers. I haven't been able to check what manufacturer my monitor is from because it always said "Default Monitor", so I don't know if it's the trouble one or not. Does anyone here know exactly what is going on here? Anyone experience a problem like this before?

I realize that my laptop is 6 years old, and that most people have moved on to newer and greater machines, but I was hoping someone knew of this kind of problem or remembers a specific method or an extra step they had to take to get their modded nVidia drivers working.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. - This will probably be my last post on this subject here if I don't get any replies or help - I'm not gonna spam this forum with questions no one knows the answers to (even though I know in the past there were individuals that were/are a part of this forum that had extensive knowledge of the Inspiron 8200). Again, thanks.

EDIT: Fixed an incomplete sentence.

Edited by StealthCamo